Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Rock tumbler???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looking at possibly purchasing a rock tumbler to clean up clad.  Not looking to spend much on one.  I've looked on ebay and amazon, found too many to really decide.  Has anyone used one or know anyone who has.  Other than weight capacity, is there anything I should look for while shopping around?  Thank you
Hit Harbor Freight. Very good tumbler for about $30 Yes I had mine for a couple of years before it went south, and then I simply replaced the belt and it was good as new. Can't beat it for the price & performance. They have the single barrel & the double barrel. I use the single, and it's more than sufficient.

Joe
Thank you for the reply....I like cheap!!
im looking to get one as well very soon, so thanks for the info Joe.

Question , am i able to clean things like some of my buttons and smaller relics without risk of damage or can the tumbling itself possibly break small pieces like shanks to buttons or thin brittle items ...
i was looking to clean up a few of the thimbles, buttons, buckles and other such items.
would the rock tumbler be the right piece of equipment for the job or is there another safer way i could clean a few of them.
thanks for the help ...

bones ...
(12-29-2014 05:54 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]im looking to get one as well very soon, so thanks for the info Joe.

Question , am i able to clean things like some of my buttons and smaller relics without risk of damage or can the tumbling itself possibly break small pieces like shanks to buttons or thin brittle items ...
i was looking to clean up a few of the thimbles, buttons, buckles and other such items.
would the rock tumbler be the right piece of equipment for the job or is there another safer way i could clean a few of them.
thanks for the help ...

bones ...

I wouldn't put any of that stuff in there, Bones. Maybe if you're 100% sure it isn't worth anything, and the piece is so toasted it wouldn't make a difference anyways, but, other than that, just coins & rocks, IMO. I only have a couple hundred buttons or so from over the years, mostly common, generic flat buttons, or pieces encrusted beyond belief, so, I'm not a button expert or anything. What I normally do is let them soak in olive oil for a few weeks. It's slow, but I've turned around some DISGUSTING buttons this way.

Joe
P.S. - Almost forgot to add...

See you got your new daily avatar up, lol. I like it!!!

ROYAL WEDGY!!!!!!!!!!

Joe
Here's a link to dealsoff.com for harbor freight http://www.dealsoff.com/?s=harbor+freight

print out free coupons
I personally only wash the crud off , 5 gallon bucket put dirty clad in a little dish soap and water, swish around they're usually clean enough to roll at that point. If they're not then I just work them in on purchases made.
Thank you, i normally dont clean any relics beyond soap and water and a light scrub, but i do have a few i wanted to see if i could bring out some detail on, i`ll will give the olive oil bath a try
My plan is to clean them to the point that the bank will take them.  I was informed once that they won't except any change if they can't see what it is or damaged badly. Not sure if that's true or not. Money is money right?  Of course I'm hanging on to any of the silver and Wheaties I find....just looking to maybe put the more modern money in my account and put towards another detectorIdea
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's