Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: On the Fence...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As primarily a coinshooter, and one living where the old coins are in the 6 to 10" range, I crave for those super deep whisper signals. Nothing else seems to float my boat. Heck, I probably walk over about 70% of surface hits, if not more. Yes, I know, I know, I'm missing jewelry. Don't care. That's what the beach is for. On turf, it's only the old coins I'm targeting. And, I KNOW I'm missing a ton of them. Even using a Minelab, the best deep coin hunter there is. So...

I might be following in Will's footsteps & getting a PI unit. My Safari will be my main machine for those fairly trashy places, but, in some of the big fields I hunt very often, where the junk is very sparse, I think a PI will open up an entirely new world for me. Yes, I'll be digging more iron, however, this is par for the course. A small price to pay for getting deeper. Further, deep iron really isn't 'just' iron, it's a relic. A win-win.

Not 100% sure yet, but if I make the move, I'm looking at the Infinium or the ATX.

Anyone aside from Will use a PI? I never did myself. Anyone use one for relics/coins? I would NEVER use one in a moderately trashy spot on up.

Joe
I have never used a PI machine but it goes along with the beep and dig detector if you dig all targets you find more good finds, but you dig lots of unwanted things too if it's worth the trade off I say go for it.
(01-06-2015 10:16 PM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]I have never used a PI machine but it goes along with the beep and dig detector if you dig all targets you find more good finds, but you dig lots of unwanted things too if it's worth the trade off I say go for it.

The Infinium has modulated audio to a degree, and would be perect for my style of hunting (everyone has their own). When I'm working 90% of my spots around here, I'm listening as intently as possible for the softer, weaker hits. I walk right passed the loud, shallow signals most of the time. I've never used a PI before, but would be a MIGHTY fun experiment Happy

Joe
Is there any place around you that rents detectors if so take one for a test drive. Lot of money out if you buy and wont fit your needs.
I have been thinking the same thing Joe. the Minelab seems to serve me well where i hunt, but i am hunting areas with 450 year old coins and i know most are deeper than even the Minelab can hit, i have been getting lucky and catching a few, but likely not sinkers maybe due to certain locations, but i have NO doubt, if i could get another 6+ inches or so of depth i think i would kill it out here on the old coinage. and im not at all affraid to dig some iron or junk . well worth the payoff to dig some junk when you have a 100% chance of hitting VERY old coins as well ... i have been eyeballing the ATX , it looks pretty rugged. and i love the fold up aspect.
joe,I will make you a killer deal on my TDI dude. I need to raise funds for ...stuff,lol. Is in very goid shape,has 7.5" & 12" coils,2 batterys,charger & manual & dvd. Super smooth and probably the simplist detector you will ever use.  Most will tell you its better than infinium,and WAY lighter...and cheaper than atx. pm me
I'm not trying to sell you Ray's machine, but I do agree with what he says. I studied PI machine info all over the net and decided I wanted a TDI. I'm sure it can't be beat for the price as far as PI machines go.
You mentioned your style of hunting. I don't think a PI would fit your style of hunting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know you like digging silver. Imagine having almost no idea what is under the coil. You know the machine sees it as high conductive or low conductive. That's it. No other ID except some tone clues given by some targets. I don't want to talk you out of getting a PI. It is very different than a VLF though. I enjoy using it. I like not looking at a screen. We look at screens way too much these days. I also dig alot of junk no matter what detector I'm using. When I use the T2 I tend to dig alot of targets just because they have a good solid tone even if the screen says trash with bouncy numbers and all. That's kind of like using a PI. Not really, but somewhat. They love nails. I love my TDI.

And the TDI has alot of coils available to choose from. Razorback/Miner John has alot and the Minelab PI coils work too. Lately I've been using a ML 11" mono coil and I like it.
(01-07-2015 12:56 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not trying to sell you Ray's machine, but I do agree with what he says. I studied PI machine info all over the net and decided I wanted a TDI. I'm sure it can't be beat for the price as far as PI machines go.
You mentioned your style of hunting. I don't think a PI would fit your style of hunting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know you like digging silver. Imagine having almost no idea what is under the coil. You know the machine sees it as high conductive or low conductive. That's it. No other ID except some tone clues given by some targets. I don't want to talk you out of getting a PI. It is very different than a VLF though. I enjoy using it. I like not looking at a screen. We look at screens way too much these days. I also dig alot of junk no matter what detector I'm using. When I use the T2 I tend to dig alot of targets just because they have a good solid tone even if the screen says trash with bouncy numbers and all. That's kind of like using a PI. Not really, but somewhat. They love nails. I love my TDI.

And the TDI has alot of coils available to choose from. Razorback/Miner John has alot and the Minelab PI coils work too. Lately I've been using a ML 11" mono coil and I like it.

Will, I rarely post my junk after my hunts, as doing so just once or twice is enough for inquiring minds, lol. My pouch looks like an iron factory after a few hours! The Minelab's are DEADLY accurate on VDI info, so, why do I dig so much trash? Because, quite simply, I'm constantly pushing the pedal to the metal and chasing the deepest of the deep signals - regardless of numbers. If I get a consistent signal that's in the 8 to 10" range, I'm digging it. This is why is dig so much trash. There's a method to my madness. I want the oldest coins possible. I want to reach dirt where no other hunter has touched. This is only possible with a PI. Will I dig more junk? Absolutely! However, it won't ALL be junk Wink As I stated in my post, I would never get rid of my Safari. It's my old coin magnet, to be used in most sites. If one was choosy though, and used a PI under the right circumstances, it would open up a whole new window. Added depth & perfect discrimination do not go hand in hand, I realize this, and it's acceptable. I don't hunt by screen exclusively. As mentioned before, I hunt by tone, numbers, depth & target size. A PI unit is simply another tool. If used accordingly, it can work wonders.

Joe
(01-07-2015 08:40 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2015 12:56 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not trying to sell you Ray's machine, but I do agree with what he says. I studied PI machine info all over the net and decided I wanted a TDI. I'm sure it can't be beat for the price as far as PI machines go.

Will, I rarely post my junk after my hunts, as doing so just once or twice is enough for inquiring minds, lol. My pouch looks like an iron factory after a few hours! The Minelab's are DEADLY accurate on VDI info, so, why do I dig so much trash? Because, quite simply, I'm constantly pushing the pedal to the metal and chasing the deepest of the deep signals - regardless of numbers. If I get a consistent signal that's in the 8 to 10" range, I'm digging it. This is why is dig so much trash. There's a method to my madness. I want the oldest coins possible. I want to reach dirt where no other hunter has touched. This is only possible with a PI. Will I dig more junk? Absolutely! However, it won't ALL be junk Wink As I stated in my post, I would never get rid of my Safari. It's my old coin magnet, to be used in most sites. If one was choosy though, and used a PI under the right circumstances, it would open up a whole new window. Added depth & perfect discrimination do not go hand in hand, I realize this, and it's acceptable. I don't hunt by screen exclusively. As mentioned before, I hunt by tone, numbers, depth & target size. A PI unit is simply another tool. If used accordingly, it can work wonders.

Joe
Yeah it's a good idea. Like I said I'm not trying to talk you out of it. Just trying to give you a little heads up from what I've learned so far. Hey if you do get one I'll at least have someone to compare notes with.
I hear exactly what you're saying, Will. As the youngens like to say nowadays, you're "lookin out" Yes

A PI unit will be a nice addition to my arsenal. I need to get down more. I crave those deep signals, and that is where most of my old coins come from. My hand to God, if I dug 3 or 4 oldies that were under 5" in 2014, that would be a lot. Depth rules in my spots. Again, wouldn't think of using a PI in a very trashy spot (you're hraver than I in that regard), but for the open fields that I hunt quite often, I think it'll be more than effective. I'm literally getting goosebumps just thinking what I'm going to find.

Joe
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's