Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Cheap Metal Detecting Pinpointer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My Garrett probe, to me, is indispensable. Couldn't do without it. While there are many great probes; Sun Ray's, TRX, etc., a lot of hunters either can't or do not want to spend $100+ for one of the top-of-the-line units. So...

Many go out and purchase ones from Harbor Freight or use the cheapies they get as accessories when buying a new metal detector. While these will work in a pinch, they cannot hold a candle to the higher priced models, and generally break after a short amount of time. Yes, you get what you pay for. Here's a better alternative...

I know a few people who've used the Zircon's over the years, and aside from a VERY good build quality for the price, they work exceptionally fine in the field. To be sure...

These aren't meant to replace or compete with the better known, market leading probes. Rather, consider the Zircon one of the best built performers for the budget conscious.

http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-MetalliScan...B000VKJ1MM

Joe
I use the pro pointer as well and couldn`t live without it.
that metalliscan does appear much stronger with a much better detection depth and field than the cheaper pin pointers that come with many machines. hate to say it, but most of those freebe accessory pin pointers are just garbage.
(01-08-2015 06:24 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]I use the pro pointer as well and couldn`t live without it.
that metalliscan does appear much stronger with a much better detection depth and field than the cheaper pin pointers that come with many machines. hate to say it, but most of those freebe accessory pin pointers are just garbage.

You're 100% correct, most of the cheaper/free probes aren't quite up to par. There ARE alternatives though, many of them less expensive than the big boys. The Zircon is one of them. Hunted with a fella about 2 years ago who used one, and I was pretty impressed! For about $30, the price can't be beat. Tons of contractors and other professionals use them, too.

Joe
That Zircon unit is pretty neat. At least it'll get you in the ballpark. I'm back to my Garrett as the X Pointer has kinda died on me. I'd send it back as it's in warranty but they'll have a heart attack when they get it and see what kind of "use" I give it. And BONES is right about those freebie pin pointers. I had one that I completely wore out in about 3 months when I first started. I must've fixed it 2 or 3 times before I gave up and bought the Garrett.
(01-09-2015 03:00 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]That Zircon unit is pretty neat. At least it'll get you in the ballpark. I'm back to my Garrett as the X Pointer has kinda died on me. I'd send it back as it's in warranty but they'll have a heart attack when they get it and see what kind of "use" I give it. And BONES is right about those freebie pin pointers. I had one that I completely wore out in about 3 months when I first started. I must've fixed it 2 or 3 times before I gave up and bought the Garrett.

The freebie probes are okay for someone just starting in the hobby, or if one finds themselves sans pinpointer, but for the most part, they're junk. The Fisher one is a plastic POS. All of those 'extras' that someone gets when they buy a detector are BS. For example...

Let's say they give you a digger, a probe, a carrying bag/pouch and all those dumb magazines, CD's, etc. All of that might cost maybe $50 wholesale...if that! They then give an inflated PER PIECE value, and come up with some ridiculous valuation.

"Buy this detector for only $899, and get this $350 accessory package totally FREE!"

Smoke & mirrors. However, the newb doesn't realize this, and the experienced know the game, yet, they look at the cheap freebies as the cherry on top of the sundae, which they would've bought anyway, even if there weren't any accessories.

This is why local, mom & pop dealers can almost always offer a better deal. Even if they do have accessories, they are usually of higher quality. Further, they can do away with the extras if one wishes, and that would knock down the price.

Joe
(01-10-2015 06:23 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2015 03:00 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]That Zircon unit is pretty neat. At least it'll get you in the ballpark. I'm back to my Garrett as the X Pointer has kinda died on me. I'd send it back as it's in warranty but they'll have a heart attack when they get it and see what kind of "use" I give it. And BONES is right about those freebie pin pointers. I had one that I completely wore out in about 3 months when I first started. I must've fixed it 2 or 3 times before I gave up and bought the Garrett.

The freebie probes are okay for someone just starting in the hobby, or if one finds themselves sans pinpointer, but for the most part, they're junk. The Fisher one is a plastic POS. All of those 'extras' that someone gets when they buy a detector are BS. For example...

Let's say they give you a digger, a probe, a carrying bag/pouch and all those dumb magazines, CD's, etc. All of that might cost maybe $50 wholesale...if that! They then give an inflated PER PIECE value, and come up with some ridiculous valuation.

"Buy this detector for only $899, and get this $350 accessory package totally FREE!"

Smoke & mirrors. However, the newb doesn't realize this, and the experienced know the game, yet, they look at the cheap freebies as the cherry on top of the sundae, which they would've bought anyway, even if there weren't any accessories.

This is why local, mom & pop dealers can almost always offer a better deal. Even if they do have accessories, they are usually of higher quality. Further, they can do away with the extras if one wishes, and that would knock down the price.

Joe

LOL. That's pretty funny and true. I called those people in FLA when I bought my Delta and asked them if they sold the detector without all the Bells & Whistles at a lower price and they said "No." It's like the car dealers listing "Air Bags" and "Passive Restraint Systems" (Seat Belts) as a feature. What a bunch of MORONS!!!
(01-10-2015 07:05 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]

Joe

LOL. That's pretty funny and true. I called those people in FLA when I bought my Delta and asked them if they sold the detector without all the Bells & Whistles at a lower price and they said "No." It's like the car dealers listing "Air Bags" and "Passive Restraint Systems" (Seat Belts) as a feature. What a bunch of MORONS!!!

I too used them a few times, back when I didn't know any better. I'm not knocking them for making a buck, nothing wrong with that at all. The problem is the cheap crap they pass off as top shelf. Further...

I REALLY don't like the fact that they sell those "long range locating devices", which are pure bunk! You've seen the ones I'm talking about. They look like TV remote controls with a long ass antenna on one end. Supposed to be able to locate gold, silver & hordes. There is NO - ZERO - scientific data that says they work. Matter of fact, one fella took one apart years ago, and the guts of the thing had a broken circuit board held together by masking tape!

Joe
Get a whiff of this newfangled piece of gadgetry, lol. As an added bonus, it can find bronze, too. Yippee!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLu5ocT...plYn0Ab-P0

Joe
Even better, it can double as a piece to use in a bank stickup!

Joe
(01-10-2015 07:21 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2015 07:05 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]

Joe

LOL. That's pretty funny and true. I called those people in FLA when I bought my Delta and asked them if they sold the detector without all the Bells & Whistles at a lower price and they said "No."  It's like the car dealers listing "Air Bags" and "Passive Restraint Systems" (Seat Belts) as a feature. What a bunch of MORONS!!!

I too used them a few times, back when I didn't know any better. I'm not knocking them for making a buck, nothing wrong with that at all. The problem is the cheap crap they pass off as top shelf. Further...

I REALLY don't like the fact that they sell those "long range locating devices", which are pure bunk! You've seen the ones I'm talking about. They look like TV remote controls with a long ass antenna on one end. Supposed to be able to locate gold, silver & hordes. There is NO - ZERO - scientific data that says they work. Matter of fact, one fella took one apart years ago, and the guts of the thing had a broken circuit board held together by masking tape!

Joe

I have used the hand held locator what a bunch of huwie. But I have made my own locators with willow sticks and that works for water and I have made my own with copper rods and tubes for gold or any metal and found copper never gold though. I guess if you believe enough and happen to get really lucky the first time you could say they work.
But they sure do get expensive and are money makers for the person selling them.
I guess I might just wait to see what new stuff comes out this year
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's