Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Minelab Safari
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys, anybody here swinging the Minelab Safari?  Got one coming, what can I expect?
That's Joe's machine.
Yeah I spoke with him about it before I decided to take the plunge!!
Just go watch a few of Joes Videos ( NjNyDigger ) you will see what that machine can do for you.
it uses the minelabs FBS, so your gonna get some real depth and great ID.
great choice, you wont regret it ...
I believe Mr Ed also swings a safari ... i think ... ( Ohio Dirt Fisher ) go check his past posts
both Ed and Joe kill it in the silver coinage ..

Bones ...
(01-09-2015 08:12 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Just go watch a few of Joes Videos ( NjNyDigger ) you will see what that machine can do for you.
it uses the minelabs FBS, so your gonna get some real depth and great ID.
great choice, you wont regret it ...
I believe Mr Ed also swings a safari ... i think ... ( Ohio Dirt Fisher ) go check his past posts
both Ed and Joe kill it in the silver coinage ..

Bones ...

Ed swings an SE, Bones. It's about a step or two up from the Safari on certain things. Depth wise they're about the same, though.

The beauty of the Safari, like all Minelab's, is in the tones. If it's old coins you're looking for, dig EVERYTHING 30 and above. The deeper a signal is, and you should even go lower than that, maybe 20 and up. Depending on depth, angle in the ground and other variables, silver comes in between 37 & 39. The VDI goes up to 40. 40 is normally junk, mostly bottle caps, though, not ALL the time. I've dug plenty of quarters with that number, too.

The tone on silver is unmistakable, once you know what you're listening for. However, keep in mind that deep wheats can & will fool you Wink

The VDI shouldn't be taken 100% as gospel, but it's EXTREMELY accurate the majority of the time. You need to go by tone first, and then consider the numbers, depth & pinpoint size, though not in that particular order.

Wheats can fall from 32 to 38. Indians normally fall 30 to 32.

Remember, the above is only a guide!!! Introduce iron/junk into the equation, depth, coins on edge, multiple good targets in close proximity, etc., and all bets are off. There can be swings of 10 or 15 in terms of the numbers. That's why TONE IS THE KING.

I operate in all metal 99% of the time, however, it's not for everybody. It takes getting used to.

I leave TRASH DENSITY on high most of the time, as it makes the detector react to targets a bit quicker, but it skews the VDI #'s a tad. Leaving it off is good for very low trash places, and it's a bit slower, but the numbers are supposed to be more reliable. I've tried both, and didn't see a world of difference, and just plain like using trash density high.

That should cover enough to get you started. Just give me a shout if you have any issues Yes

Joe
Man I just took a peak at those vids and you kill some silver!  Way to go!! And thanks for the tips and the direction on the choice!!
Sorry Ed ... Knew it was a Minelab just forgot which one ... Wink
Cant go wrong with any of them, they all do very well ... Yes
(01-09-2015 08:43 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry Ed ... Knew it was a Minelab just forgot which one ... Wink

True, but if I had access to your hunting spot, I'd use a vacuum, not a detector, cause I'd wanna suck it ALL up!!!

Joe
(01-09-2015 10:14 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2015 08:43 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry Ed ... Knew it was a Minelab just forgot which one ... Wink

True, but if I had access to your hunting spot, I'd use a vacuum, not a detector, cause I'd wanna suck it ALL up!!!

Joe

The way you pull all those silvers you stay right where you are.
in a weekend you would clean out what`s gonna take me the next 5 years to find. .. Wink

Bones ...
Also guys if somebody can tell me where I can find andys book on the safari I would greatly appreciate it.  I've looked everywhere. Find the one on the etrac but not the safari?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's