Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Need help choosing my first detector.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've recently became very interested in metal detecting and would like to join the hobby, I have been looking into buying one but I just cant decide which one to get. My budget is anything $350 and under. I plan on searching fields and in woods for just about anything I can find that's old. My #1 choice so far is the Ace 350 on Kellyco cause of its ease of use and good performance.

So please leave a comment of which one I should get and maybe a why. A link would be appreciated too. Thanks,
There are alot of entry level machines out there these days. The Aces are very popular. First Texas makes alot of simple to use detectors. They are Fisher, Teknetics, and Bounty Hunter. I hear the Teknetics Euro Tech Pro is a very good one for the price. It is also one of the newest models as far as beginners level machines. If you want to spend around 350 you probably want to consider the price of other tools as well. Pinpointers are a very useful tool. A good one is almost a must have. They run from about 100 to 150. And you'll need a good digging tool. Lesche is the standard. They are around 40 bucks. There are other good diggers though. I have a Sun Joe Hori Hori that is super tough and a great digging tool. They go for 15-20. Also there are alot of dealers that will give you a better deal than Kco. Any of the regular guys here can probably tell of dealers they have dealt with and have been very happy with their purchases. I'm sure the other guys will also be happy to help. Welcome to the forum.
(01-11-2015 05:02 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]There are alot of entry level machines out there these days.  The Aces are very popular.  First Texas makes alot of simple to use detectors.  They are Fisher, Teknetics, and Bounty Hunter.  I hear the Teknetics Euro Tech Pro is a very good one for the price.  It is also one of the newest models as far as beginners level machines.  If you want to spend around 350 you probably want to consider the price of other tools as well.  Pinpointers are a very useful tool.  A good one is almost a must have.  They run from about 100 to 150.  And you'll need a good digging tool.  Lesche is the standard.  They are around 40 bucks.  There are other good diggers though.  I have a Sun Joe Hori Hori that is super tough and a great digging tool.  They go for 15-20.  Also there are alot of dealers that will give you a better deal than Kco.  Any of the regular guys here can probably tell of dealers they have dealt with and have been very happy with their purchases.  I'm sure the other guys will also be happy to help.  Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, would you recomned the Ace 350 though? On kellyco it comes with a pointer. http://www.kellycodetectors.com/products...60/ace-350
Honestly in my opinion Kco feeds off of people new to the hobby. They throw in a bunch of "free" stuff that's not worth much at all and tell you it's worth $300 or some ridiculous number. I don't know of anyone that uses a Vulcan pinpointer. If it was a good one people would talk about it. Other dealers will actually make you a better deal with quality items. As far as the 350. I've never used one, but I have heard they are good detectors.
The Ace 350 would be a good starter. But check out all dealers and what they can do for you. See if there is a dealer near you so they can show you how to use the detector.
ANY detector is better than no detector. As for me, never cared for the Ace line. Some people love'm. $350 is a pretty good starter budget. I'd recommend the Fisher F2 or F5 over the Ace's any day. Even if you have to buy a used model. They're quicker, have a MUCH better display, and are without that bell tone, which most hunters aren't particularly fond of. This is just my opinion, of course. You'll get 100 different responses when you ask these questions, but only you can decide after researching your options.

Joe
There's a brand new F2 listed over on the classifieds for$185. That is a good starter machine. I still have one that I have kept as a backup/loaner. Like Joe said they are fast detectors and have a nice display screen. If you get a detector for that kind of price you will have alot left over for other equipment.
(01-11-2015 08:40 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]There's a brand new F2 listed over on the classifieds for$185. That is a good starter machine. I still have one that I have kept as a backup/loaner. Like Joe said they are fast detectors and have a nice display screen. If you get a detector for that kind of price you will have alot left over for other equipment.

I agree Wink I was going to point it out, but didn't want to be accused of shamelessly pushing the classifieds. I would jump on this detector, as number one, the price is right, number two, they are GOOD units, and number three, Steve takes care of his customers. It's an all around win, IMO Yes

Here's the link: http://www.treasureclassifieds.com/metal...-f-2_i1059

Joe
isn`t the F2 the same as the BH3300. if so, it is WAY better than an ACE 250. don`t know about the 350 , but it don`t look much different than the 250.
i know everyone knocks the old cheep BH`s but my old dust collecting BH3300 has pulled relics for me that would make your jaw drop and at a pretty good depth ... light as a feather and spot on pin pointing too ...
(01-11-2015 07:02 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]ANY detector is better than no detector. As for me, never cared for the Ace line. Some people love'm. $350 is a pretty good starter budget. I'd recommend the Fisher F2 or F5 over the Ace's any day. Even if you have to buy a used model. They're quicker, have a MUCH better display, and are without that bell tone, which most hunters aren't particularly fond of. This is just my opinion, of course. You'll get 100 different responses when you ask these questions, but only you can decide after researching your options.

Joe

I would agree with Joe on some of this stuff -I would think you could ask every detectorist and you would get a different answer on what type of machine. And any machine is better than no detector. I actually think a .person starting out should not spend a lot on a machine until they figure out if they are going to like the hobby. $350.00 will get you a pretty good detector. Anyone can tell you what they like but it might not work in your area or for the kind of detecting you want to do. Find a club and go to a meeting and see what the rules are by you and what kind of detecting they do and which detectors work the best. And check out the 4 major brands whites, Minelab, fisher and Garrett. And for sure ask questions
Steve
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's