Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Cool Read - PI Landmine Detectors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
They have just engineered PI detectors for landmine searching. These guys are SMART. I'd snatch these people up fast if I owned a detector company. Really good read Happy http://goo.gl/Bcndrb

Joe
Smart people! Wish I understood all the jargon. Looks to me like they've filtered out the thing that inhibits great depth of a PI detector. What do you think? Another ten years before it hits consumer detecting?

Ed
(01-22-2015 03:47 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Wish I understood all the jargon.
Ed

That makes two of us! Chuckle Wouldn't be able to tell you how to brew a beer, but DAMN, am I good at drinking one!!!

Ed, I'll take anything that'll get me down deeper. I'm sure most of us are hitting the bottom of the barrel in terms of depth at around 11, 12" or so, on coin sized targets. I think, save for a rare individual or two, or a really prime hunting spot, that if we find something from the mid 1800's, that is pretty darned good. Yes, I've found reals that were just 2" in the soil, but we all know this is not the norm, and is the EXTREME exception. So...

If this is the case, imagine how far down stuff from the 1600 & 1700's are!!!

I couldn't give two hoots about unmasking, as I don't hunt spots loaded with iron. Just provide me the ability to go down another 4", while at the same time, giving me a FAIRLY accurate idea of whether the target is junk or not, and I'd be a VERY happy camper Yes

Joe
Isn't the ATX modeled after a military mine detector?

Hey Joe. What if you gain an extra 5" and you run into a ton of 1600-1700s iron? Back to the drawing board.
(01-22-2015 05:44 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't the ATX modeled after a military mine detector?

Hey Joe. What if you gain an extra 5" and you run into a ton of 1600-1700s iron? Back to the drawing board.

Will,

Good point! I'd imagine that'd be a problem. If they could somehow tune the discrimination so you're not just digging conductive targets all day, then it would be a kick ass machine. But as it is, they can now find deep steel/iron with their theory. I suspect they're not looking for silver or old coppers. Maybe somebody should tell them about it. Looks like they've got brains enough to figure it out.

And I thought that about the ATX as well.

Ed
Yeah PI machines can hit iron real deep. The problem is that you can't tell if it's iron. Discrimination is very limited as well as target ID. I like it though. I can't wait to get back out with the TDI.
(01-22-2015 05:44 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't the ATX modeled after a military mine detector?

Who cares about hitting old iron??? Matter of fact, there's historic value (at least to me) in a lot of that stuff. Here's what many people don't get...

With current VLF & FBS machines, we can only go down about 12" on coin sized targets. Yes, it might be a bit more in sand, in wet soils, etc., but those are the exceptions, I'm talking the majority of the time. Under normal circumstances. 12". So...

This means any coins sized targets beyond this depth will NOT be ascertainable. Won't be heard. Which leads to, there being ONLY 2 options...

1. Simply forget about the coins further than 12+" and get absolutely zero at those depths

Or

2. Use a PI unit and dig basically everything. Yes, there will be a lot of crap dug, but it won't ALL be crap Wink Going by numbers, a certain percentage of the targets will be coins, relic pieces, etc. Look at it this way...

Even if it was a lousy 30 to 1 ratio for bad finds versus good, you will NEVER HAVE GOTTEN that one extra find if you weren't using the PI unit. Further...

I'd even argue that there is a higher percentage of coins beyond the 12+" than there is in the first 12" range, based on the simple fact that nobody has yet reached that depth before. It is truly virgin ground.

So, anyone that complains about digging extra trash by using a PI unit (IMO) doesn't truly understand/appreciate the value of using them.

Joe
Well that's another good point Joe. I'm at 30 to 1 "No Problem" now! So there wouldn't be that much of a difference, except depth.

Ed
(01-22-2015 08:48 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]

Who cares about hitting old iron??? Matter of fact, there's historic value (at least to me) in a lot of that stuff. Here's what many people don't get...

With current VLF & FBS machines, we can only go down about 12" on coin sized targets. Yes, it might be a bit more in sand, in wet soils, etc., but those are the exceptions, I'm talking the majority of the time. Under normal circumstances. 12". So...

This means any coins sized targets beyond this depth will NOT be ascertainable. Won't be heard. Which leads to, there being ONLY 2 options...

1. Simply forget about the coins further than 12+" and get absolutely zero at those depths

Or

2. Use a PI unit and dig basically everything. Yes, there will be a lot of crap dug, but it won't ALL be crap Wink Going by numbers, a certain percentage of the targets will be coins, relic pieces, etc. Look at it this way...

Even if it was a lousy 30 to 1 ratio for bad finds versus good, you will NEVER HAVE GOTTEN that one extra find if you weren't using the PI unit. Further...

I'd even argue that there is a higher percentage of coins beyond the 12+" than there is in the first 12" range, based on the simple fact that nobody has yet reached that depth before. It is truly virgin ground.

So, anyone that complains about digging extra trash by using a PI unit (IMO) doesn't truly understand/appreciate the value of using them.

Joe
I agree. I'll dig deep having no idea what is there. Knowing there is a better chance of it being a great find than a shallower target would be. We will be diggin alot of junk, but I don't care.
I thought that most land mine detector were already PI machines.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's