Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: SE Pro recovery time vs Safari
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys just wanted to get your thoughts on this subject. I know all minelabs are slow on recovery time, but would you say the se pro is faster?  Also which one would you say would give you the most info on a target while it's still in the ground?
My buddy Gerry uses the SE, as well as, Ed (Ohio Dirt Fisher). Both can tell you a lot more than I on the nuances of the unit. However...

Yes, all Minelabs are pretty slow. The further up the food chain you get (model/price), they do get quicker, but, even then, still not speed demons. If it's speed you're after, ML aren't cut out for that. They are pure depth monsters.

Joe
Never used a Safari. But I only have recovery time problems with the SE in heavy trash with high sensitivity and the 11" coil or bigger. The software gets too confused with too many signals. Under low mineralization woods conditions without a great deal of trash I find recovery times to be nominal compared to my Delta, which is fast. Then again I usually do not have either Fast or Deep Recovery set and prefer Fast rather than Deep when I do set it as Deep is very slow and requires a much slower sweep. I think the SE has the better VID recognition but it takes a good month of steady use to begin to eliminate trash and good signals. Whereas the Safari, from what I understand about it, basically has the same tone configuration. The difference to me is the VID on the SE. When cross sweeping you can see much more info on the target and the tone is usually spot on unless you're in a heavy iron environment, then it can be a crap shoot. That's why a lot of fellas who own the SE Pro go All Metals with very little Iron Mask because after using it a while you can tell the difference most of the time or actually target the good from the bad. I will sometimes spend three or four minutes cross sweeping and adjusting the machine on an iffy target. In most cases, about 6 of 10, it's a masked target that usually turns out to be silver coin or jewelry. The SE Pro gives you a boatload of options you can use before you dig. In my case I've found that if the real high tone is present, and my hearing range ain't that good, it's silver before you dig. But I still dig a lot of trash too. Iffy signals make me nervous so I dig them any way as I've been very surprised by some. Hope this helps.

Ed
(02-05-2015 09:59 PM)Firedigger109 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys just wanted to get your thoughts on this subject. I know all minelabs are slow on recovery time, but would you say the se pro is faster?  Also which one would you say would give you the most info on a target while it's still in the ground?

As far as giving the most info on a target between the Safari and SE, Joe asked me to listen to a deep signal with my SE that he thought might be good but my SE was telling me it was iron. It turned out my machine was correct. BUT he also had signals that he was positive were coins where my machine gave an iffy signal and they turned out to be coins. That really surprised me.
I read somewhere that when Minelab comes out with a new model, the processor in the new unit is faster giving better separation of targets. This means the ETRAC is faster than the SE and the CTX is faster than the ETRAC. I don't have hands on experience with this however. I think the bottom line is just getting to know the language of your particular machine. Gerry
Never used a SE PRO but have used a explorer XS, explorer II,
Excalibur II, GPX 4800 and now the CTX 3030. Yes I would say you have to swing a little slower to allow them to pick out the good targets better. But I think they excel in highly mineralized ground , and in highly trashy ground. By trash I mean iron.
Never seen machine that will reject iron so easily and get the silver
(02-07-2015 10:11 PM)Steveo Wrote: [ -> ]Never used a SE PRO but have used a explorer XS, explorer II,
Excalibur II, GPX 4800 and now the CTX 3030. Yes I would say you have to swing a little slower to allow them to pick out the good targets better. But I think they excel in highly mineralized ground , and in highly trashy ground. By trash I mean iron.
Never seen machine that will reject iron so easily and get the silver

Hey Steveo,

Just to clarify, trash in my neck of the woods means pull tabs, can slaw,bottle caps etc...

I don't X them out in program as I'm an all metals guy pretty much. Now the SE doesn't have the "See Through" capability as well as the Etrac does. So I do end up digging a lot of iron (nails, screws, bolts, nuts, auto parts, etc..). Although I have found silver alongside iron. It does sometimes depend on ground conditions. If the ground is soaked, it's a mixed bag of signal in our mineralized ground, but, if the ground is kinda clumpy damp, the signals are more distinctive. And the dry ground is the best but a real bear chore to dig. Just my observations from the lower rust belt.

Ed
Reference URL's