Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Building a Probe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am wanting to build a brass probe. I can not find any brass rod in this small town I live in, does anyone have any ideals. Was going to use a wooden dowel for a handle.
(02-08-2015 11:58 PM)gcsod45 Wrote: [ -> ]I am wanting to build a brass probe. I can not find any brass rod in this small town I live in, does anyone have any ideals. Was going to use a wooden dowel for a handle.

If you're hooked up on ebay they have an industrial division where you can get thin brass and copper rods for next to dirt cheap. A lot of it is bulk or long lengths, but if you contact them through the ask seller a question area they will deal with you. I had a company cut me 8" diameter 3/8" thick plexiglass disks for underwater tube viewers for me and the kids for about $8 apiece plus shipping here in the states. And if that fails then we have the good old Ace Hardware guys here and they've got that stuff in stock for replacing old control rods for oil and such boiler furnaces. They keep stuff in stock that was forgotten long ago because of newer tech. I am always playing with new ideas because my brain hurts if I don't so my gray matter inventory always can find a solution. Good luck!
(02-09-2015 12:10 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-08-2015 11:58 PM)gcsod45 Wrote: [ -> ]I am wanting to build a brass probe. I can not find any brass rod in this small town I live in, does anyone have any ideals. Was going to use a wooden dowel for a handle.

If you're hooked up on ebay they have an industrial division where you can get thin brass and copper rods for next to dirt cheap. A lot of it is bulk or long lengths, but if you contact them through the ask seller a question area they will deal with you. I had a company cut me 8" diameter 3/8" thick plexiglass disks for underwater tube viewers for me and the kids for about $8 apiece plus shipping here in the states. And if that fails then we have the good old Ace Hardware guys here and they've got that stuff in stock for replacing old control rods for oil and such boiler furnaces. They keep stuff in stock that was forgotten long ago because of newer tech. I am always playing with new ideas because my brain hurts if I don't so my gray matter inventory always can find a solution. Good luck!

That right there is good advice, Ed Yes

Joe
How much does a brass coin probe cost?
I try not to deal with Ebay and the local Ace here does not carry the rod.

(02-09-2015 12:25 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]How much does a brass coin probe cost?

They are various amounts. But I enjoy trying to build some of my tools. And sometimes you need that 6 foot brass probe
Try a welding shop ask to see brazing rod the kind that's doesn't have the flux.
Reference URL's