Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Do you water detect the surf much up north?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here in Florida the gulf coast is usually like a lake making it easy to detect the water up to our necks.  When I lived in South Jersey and went to Ocean City the surf was always pounding hard.  Great for swimmers to lose jewelry, but detecting in that surf must be impossible.  What do you folks do?  My guess is shallows only or wait for a super low tide and hunt the wet sand.  There must be alot of gold in the water up there with that rough surf! 

Here is what we hunt in Florida.
Yeah, hunting the Jersey shore is just not possible. I always worked Coney Island, almost exclusively. When I DID hunt the shore, it was ankle deep at the most, but, mostly the wet water line. Even a "calm" day down the shore features crashing waves, strong undertow's, etc. There's just no way - unless one has a death wish - to detect further than knee deep in that kinda surf.

Joe
I always hunted dry sand just a coin digger at heart. Loved the scenery and enjoyed the fresh air. One day I went into wet sand on a slight incline and hanging out of my scoop was a noce lookin gold chain. Man was I gassed - now if I go I try for low tide and wet slopes but I haven't gone deeper then ankle.
Folks I know love the surf and get into it deeper then me but mostly they like low tide
No beaches around here. I ain't going in the ocean anyway. You ever watch shark week?
LOL I hear you. I don't worry about the sharks but I also don't go in the water at dawn, dusk, or in the dark. A lot of hunters do though and I have never heard of a metal detectorist being bitten, maybe the detector frequency runs the sharks off.
This is where I spend a lot of my detecting time in the summer.

Lake Michigan (307 miles long and 118 miles wide) with 1640 miles of beach around it.

This yr I am upping the game and going to spend every chance I get hunting from May thru Nov in/on the big lake like I used to do long ago for like a good 20 yrs --- gonna do a LOT more gold/jewelry huntin this yr (gold = $$)!! Big Grin

[Image: SouthHavenBeachUSA_zps4e7b3eeb.jpg]
Just seeing that picture gets me all cranked up. We are having lots of people on the beach right now here in Florida but not many in the water. Those cold fronts you guys up north keep sending down are keeping the Gulf pretty cold. I'll be back out there today.

Good Luck Relic Hunter
Little beach hunting for me. I've not really tried very hard though. I have about 4 beaches I can hit on Lake Erie. We're not allowed to detect 3 of them Memorial through Labor Day. Might give 2 of the major ones a shot this year.
Reference URL's