Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: One of my older finds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I found this about 2 years ago at my sister in-laws house 4 inches deep in the roots of an old oak tree.  The Florida town it was found in has a Greek heritage and from what I am told it may have been brought over from Greece.
Man, that looks like an OLD crucifix, Red. Do you have any idea - even a guesstimate - on the age?

One of my favorite places to look for old coins is around the rooty base of big trees. The roots prevent sinkage, and one could find something hundreds of years old only a few inches down. Which is probably the deal with your awesome find.

It definitely doesn't have a modern, mechanized manufactured look to it. Is that the natural color, or is the brown hue a layer or build up of something?

Joe
I was told several hundred years by an antique dealer.  Made of a heavy metal unfortunately not gold or silver.
4" is a pretty large sized crucifix for everyday wear on the average person. So...

Just a random, shot in the dark kinda guess, but, maybe it belonged to a priest or monk. Unless crucifix's of that larger size were common in those times, then, all bet's are off.

I can see the hole on top, too. Which is another interesting element to the piece. The hole looks tiny though. Maybe it was held up on a string of some sort?

Very cool & mysterious find.

Joe
We were guessing it probably was nailed to a door or entrance, definitely not jewelry.
(02-11-2015 03:34 PM)Redfish Wrote: [ -> ]We were guessing it probably was nailed to a door or entrance, definitely not jewelry.

That is a very good possibility. People of the jewish faith have the mezuzah's adorned on their door frames, so, something along these lines is very plausible.

Joe
That is really cool. If I found it I would tack it up on the wall somewhere.
Great Find Howard. I never saw that one at our meetings. Did the antique dealer give any hint on where to look for more info on it?
Very Cool find! Congrats !
That is a nice find Red! I'd go with Will's idea and hang it up somewhere!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's