Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: With all of the snow I feel I don't need to go to the gym!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been getting my exercise moving snow around at least two or three times per week this year and my lazy butt thinks I don't have to go to the gym because of it.

How do you guys or gals feel about this snowy situation?
Even though I live in an apartment I'm shovel responsible for the 30 feet of sidewalk we have from our door to the parking area. I actually shovel about that many times a week as well. As to the gym, I don't have a membership but I should. When I go back to work in late March my butt is going to be dragging for the first two to three weeks because I usually do about 5 to 6 miles of walking and some heavy physical stuff even though I have HS students part time to help. I do have a set of those adjustable dumbbells I fool with about twice a week but it's nothing compared to the cardio I get at work and detecting up and down the hills and dales of the woods. I just can't get motivated enough to go to a gym, although we are surrounded by municipal rec centers that have yearly plans for <$250 and are chock full of all kinds of equipment. Besides I usually have a great deal of flatulence being the old fart I am and would really embarrass myself at a gym. Here in the apartment, nobody cares.
Ohio Dirt Fisher, you make some good points. I too have a set of weights but I need to get motivated and pick them up more. Yeah, I too wrestle with the cost of the gym I guess that is the main reason why I don't get a membership.
As for shoveling - I usually go to the corner and clear out the sewer drain and the cross walk on my side of the street. It's about 75 feet from my home but you never know when you will need the fire department so I make sure I clear that plug after I clear the sewer/storm drain. 
I do utilize a Ti Chi short video to get the blood moving after doing there breathing exercises. It helps some but I need to do more.
Well, I can without a doubt tell you that, I have gained some pounds since I stopped digging in early January. It's amazing how fast one can balloon up. I have always said that detecting is one of the BEST forms of exercise. You're literally using almost every part of your body.

You're not too far from me. We have been spared the worst this winter, for the most part. By the middle of January, we still saw next to no snow and above average temps. Then reality kicked in, and it's been pretty active since. However...

My new yardstick to measure all winters will be last year, which was the worst! Compared to this season, it's like apples and oranges. Imagine being up in Boston or Maine?! I think they're pushing about ONE HUNDRED inches of snow in about 7 or 8 weeks!!!

Joe
Joe, you are right last year was very difficult for us. This year isn't that bad considering that it was nice up until mid January as you say.
No, I can't imagine having that much snow around - way to much to deal with - I hope those folks can hang in there but I am sure they are climbing the walls about now. Kids out of school and folks out of work, very tough indeed

Joe, BTW - cabin fever does put on the pounds.....TV - sofa and snacks are my downfall 
Hopefully we all get out soon!
Darn, we don't have any snow, time to get ready for Spring!
(02-15-2015 08:19 PM)Detector Nut Wrote: [ -> ]Darn, we don't have any snow, time to get ready for Spring!

Yeah, Florida is normally nice this time of year Bandit
Shoveling snow is good exercise but doesn't work all your muscles so I think it is best to go to the gym. I work out every other day on a bowflex unit I have at home. I feel much better since I started doing it.
Wow no snow that is awesome but hey it is what it is, we just keep on trucking along.

Mike - you are right I should work out more often. If you don't use it you will lose it.
I just need to get started and then make it a routine, right.
We are usually hammered this time of year, but the only snow I see is in the nearby mountains.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's