Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What's Ur opinion on Theshold settings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am wondering what folks set their threshold to? Do you use the stock setting - on my EXp II it's 8 - gives a slight hum. 
I hunted for years with that hum in my years and hated it. Last year I kicked it down and eliminated the hum becasue I was running my settings at max.
This year I am looking to expierment again, so what do you use and why.
Please include your machine if not a minelab
Thanks
I didn't know the number but I turned it on and it says threshold tone 7. I keep the thing pretty low and would have to say the 2nd click from the bottom of the indicator or I can't hear it at all. I've never run it to -0- and am thinking of trying to up it a notch or two this year. I still am trying to grasp what the hell it means and have been over the Sabisch book and instruction manual a couple of times to make sense of it. I "think" it holds the lower parts of the wave responses down such that you can only hear the peak of the target tones/wave. Kinda like another form of discrimination or iron mask but from a different theory.

Explorer SE Pro.
Ohio Dirt Fisher, I think along the same route as you. As you turn threshold up you need to hold down other items like sensativity or gain.
I will go higher this yeaer if the screen shows numbers with no sound or I will turn up sense or gain to see if that area has any tone to it befoer I dig.
(02-16-2015 05:18 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ohio Dirt Fisher, I think along the same route as you. As you turn threshold up you need to hold down other items like sensativity or gain.
I will go higher this yeaer if the screen shows numbers with no sound or I will turn up sense or gain to see if that area has any tone to it befoer I dig.

If it ever flipping thaws out up here I'll give this a try this season and post my results. I'd imagine response on NORMAL would be the best. Might even work well with Pitch Hold.
No matter the detector's I've swung over the years, I've always preferred a slight threshold hum. It just makes me FEEL like the detector is on & working, lol. I know there are many who like to set it just under the hum (silent), as the noise bothers them, but this was never my cup of beer. I also like to hear the threshold break because, it lets me know SOMETHING is there...and it's deep.

Joe
Yes I also run with a slight hum any loader and it will drive you nuts. With the big Minelabs like 4800 you w3ant a slight smooth as you can threshold. That way if the threshold changes at all you got a deep deep target and we even dig the nulls when we are board.
I have tried the silent threshold this also works but you miss the nulls, Miss the deep targets and you miss it if you detector shuts off.
Go ahead and run silent just let me know where you are detecting so I can clean up.LOL
Not sure how the threshold runs on the explorer but on the etrac I find it essential to run a slight hum for threshold for a couple of reasons. First is that any variation in a constant threshold , especially with auto sens. , could signify a faint target of interest that a little signal fishing could bring into better resolution. Also , when running with any disc , if you get a null it signifies iron and possible masking under your coil , so I will often switch to an open screen(no disc) and investigate around the iron for high tones while watching the VDI. Good numbers deserve attention and you don't need to go to TTF in order to be thorough.
I like to run with a threshold barely audible. The F75 and Deus are silent machines except in "prospecting modes" which I have yet to get used to.
(02-16-2015 09:52 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how the threshold runs on the explorer but on the etrac I find it essential to run a slight hum for threshold for a couple of reasons. First is that any variation in a constant threshold , especially with auto sens. , could signify a faint target of interest that a little signal fishing could bring into better resolution. Also , when running with any disc , if you get a null it signifies iron and possible masking under your coil , so I will often switch to an open screen(no disc) and investigate around the iron for high tones while watching the VDI. Good numbers deserve attention and you don't need to go to TTF in order to be thorough.
I like to run with a threshold barely audible. The F75 and Deus are silent machines except in "prospecting modes" which I have yet to get used to.

Good points Dusty. The threshold on the Etrac is basically the same or similar to the Explorers. Ya know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But you bring up a good point. I've never really taken notice to a shift in threshold tone outside of nulling. I'll keep that in mind if I ever get out of here! Thanks!
Good points for sure. If I get a null signal I tend to slow down or even change some settings in order to decide where to dig. I hate to leave a iffy target behind.
I just used the stock setting on my V3i.
Reference URL's