Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: *NYC Detectorists: MUST READ*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone who hunts in the boroughs of NYC is in for an AMAZING amount of free map research, courtesy of the New York Public Library. This was on the news a few weeks ago, as the program just launched. In short...

The library has put an app together, which will allow anyone to overlay extremely rare, some-yet-unseen, historic maps where the current location intersects with that period of time. Streets, thoroughfares, etc. It's all there. A gift Big Grin

http://goo.gl/BqYTO6

Joe
That is an outstanding achievement for the very historic area of NYC. It boggles the mind as to what can be found through both historic records and accurate mapping in an open source environment.

Now the real question is: Can you detect it? I would think that through organized groups of detectorists who are familiar with the rules and regulations of the New York City Historical and Preservation Societies, and the city itself, and that as many of the restoration companies I worked for in NYC were, an agreement could be made to have a mutual understanding of trust so that both were open to new territory and discovery. Without cooperation from such an authority with pretty much absolute control over historic sites and discovery, park your detector until further notice. We did about 50% hoop jumping with them in the Wall Street district on the Stock Exchange and JPMorgan across the street. Plus a couple in the garment district. They're okay with modern methods in masonry but I think random digging on target areas is going to be iffy at best without an organised effort to substantiate trust and understanding. Something like our neighbors in England have across the pond.

I do applaud the NYC library; which if you've never been to, crap, go visit it, as they are bringing mankind into the 21st century, 15 years in, with what appears to be some fabulous and user friendly tech which may enlighten the young and the old and of course, the detectorist.

Ed/ODF.
(02-17-2015 12:13 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]That is an outstanding achievement for the very historic area of NYC. It boggles the mind as to what can be found through both historic records and accurate mapping in an open source environment.

Now the real question is: Can you detect it? I would think that through organized groups of detectorists who are familiar with the rules and regulations of the New York City Historical and Preservation Societies, and the city itself, and that as many of the restoration companies I worked for in NYC were, an agreement could be made to have a mutual understanding of trust so that both were open to new territory and discovery. Without cooperation from such an authority with pretty much absolute control over historic sites and discovery, park your detector until further notice. We did about 50% hoop jumping with them in the Wall Street district on the Stock Exchange and JPMorgan across the street. Plus a couple in the garment district. They're okay with modern methods in masonry but I think random digging on target areas is going to be iffy at best without an organised effort to substantiate trust and understanding. Something like our neighbors in England have across the pond.

I do applaud the NYC library; which if you've never been to, crap, go visit it, as they are bringing mankind into the 21st century, 15 years in, with what appears to be some fabulous and user friendly tech which may enlighten the young and the old and of course, the detectorist.

Ed/ODF.

Detecting it is the million dollar question. Remember, aside from most places being off limits, many locales are now paved over. So, one still has to put the work in to find good, detectable spots. However...

The trove of information they are putting at peoples fingertips (free of charge, too) is astounding. I think EVERY major city should have a similar app.

When I saw this on the news a few weeks ago, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I've already located a potential site or two.

Hey, if it's free, it's for me Yes

Joe
Quote:Detecting it is the million dollar question. Remember, aside from most places being off limits, many locales are now paved over. So, one still has to put the work in to find good, detectable spots. However...

The trove of information they are putting at peoples fingertips (free of charge, too) is astounding. I think EVERY major city should have a similar app.

When I saw this on the news a few weeks ago, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I've already located a potential site or two.

Joe

Good luck. It will be interesting to say the least.
(02-17-2015 12:52 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Detecting it is the million dollar question. Remember, aside from most places being off limits, many locales are now paved over. So, one still has to put the work in to find good, detectable spots. However...

Joe

Good luck. It will be interesting to say the least.

Thanks. Maybe I'll find a nice preserve to hit around here?! Cool

Joe
Good luck!
That is an awesome achievement. I wish that was available in other areas. Down here in Florida I can't get any good information on a Fort that was here in the late 1850's.
Reference URL's