Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Care and Feeding your Detector.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Although I tend to look at my detectors as equipment and sometime abuse the heck of them, I am also one to CLA (Clean, Lube & Adjust) both of them about once a month to look for possible damage, keep them clean and generally have them not only look nice out in the field but ensure that they will give me years of service.

Here's my list of monthly maintenance:

1 - pull the coil cover and clean the coils with a dish soapy washrag and the cover with a good spray of water and the same rag in the utility or kitchen sink. Dry them both off with a utility towel and then set them out to air dry anything you missed for 24 hours.

2 - Pull the battery, battery pack from the unit when not in long term use and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser if they need it. Charge the batteries and if you have a cheap digital tester, check each battery for load after charging to see if it is on a downside. If it is, put it aside and replace that battery.

3 - Use a sparing amount of Silicone Lubricant, (Not WD-40 or Vaseline or oil) around the connector at the coil location to help keep it somewhat sealed and aid in its flexibility. This is Di-electric Silicone grease and can be found at any auto parts store. And one little tube goes the whole season.

4 - Clean the screen on the unit with a mild dishwashing soap and a very wrung out, damp dry rag. Do the same to the rest of the unit. Shaft, armrest, etc.... If you like you can luster up the plastic of the housing and related plastic parts with the same silicone lubricant

5 - Check the screws on the housing, headphones, etc... and make certain they are finger tight. Don't over torque them. You'd be surprised what loosens up with constant use and vibration from sitting inside your vehicle.

6 - Inspect your cords from the coil/headphones, and if you find nicks or cracks, wrap a couple of winds of plain old electricians tape around them before they start exposing wire.

If you follow the above faithfully every month or so your detector will give you years of service and you'll add to its resale value as well if you ever decide to trade or sell it for another detector.

Ed/ODF
I like em dirty.
I don't like mine dirty, but, I'm simply too busy and too tired to do it when I get home after a hunt, so, it winds up almost NEVER being done. Good tips, Ed. One thing I make a habit of doing 3 or 4 times per year is taking the coil cover off and cleaning the debris out. Can lead to falsing.

There is quite nothing like a sparkly clean detector when hitting the field. Makes me feel fresh, like showering with Ivory Spring soap, lol.

Joe
Good routine Ohio,

I generally inspect everything externally before each hunt. I have sealed my coil covers with Silicon glue so nothing gets into them so I never remove them. I think a structured routine like yours is a good idea.
(02-17-2015 07:22 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Although I tend to look at my detectors as equipment and sometime abuse the heck of them, I am also one to CLA (Clean, Lube & Adjust) both of them about once a month to look for possible damage, keep them clean and generally have them not only look nice out in the field but ensure that they will give me years of service.

Here's my list of monthly maintenance:

1 - pull the coil cover and clean the coils with a dish soapy washrag and the cover with a good spray of water and the same rag in the utility or kitchen sink. Dry them both off with a utility towel and then set them out to air dry anything you missed for 24 hours.

2 - Pull the battery, battery pack from the unit when not in long term use and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser if they need it. Charge the batteries and if you have a cheap digital tester, check each battery for load after charging to see if it is on a downside. If it is, put it aside and replace that battery.

3 - Use a sparing amount of Silicone Lubricant, (Not WD-40 or Vaseline or oil) around the connector at the coil location to help keep it somewhat sealed and aid in its flexibility. This is Di-electric Silicone grease and can be found at any auto parts store. And one little tube goes the whole season.

4 - Clean the screen on the unit with a mild dishwashing soap and a very wrung out, damp dry rag. Do the same to the rest of the unit. Shaft, armrest, etc.... If you like you can luster up the plastic of the housing and related plastic parts with the same silicone lubricant

5 - Check the screws on the housing, headphones, etc... and make certain they are finger tight. Don't over torque them. You'd be surprised what loosens up with constant use and vibration from sitting inside your vehicle.

6 - Inspect your cords from the coil/headphones, and if you find nicks or cracks, wrap a couple of winds of plain old electricians tape around them before they start exposing wire.

If you follow the above faithfully every month or so your detector will give you years of service and you'll add to its resale value as well if you ever decide to trade or sell it for another detector.

Ed/ODF

Excellent tip, thanks!
I do clean my coil covers every once and awhile, but not monthly, maybe you are right I should do it more often,

What I do after every hunt is pull out the battery and head phones cord and separate the unit for easier storage. I don't even leave batteries in my flashlights or cameras, they would run down quicker then you think.
When I separate the unit I always make certain that the connectors are covered by the shaft to protect them.
As I hunt about 3 to 4 times a week at least in good weather I clean and inspect mine at least every week. Sometimes more depends on how dirty it gets.
Reference URL's