Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Minelab guys: Sending your detector in for a "checkup"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys, I posted a thread on another about this and the guy who answered made me feel a little scolded. It's a legit question.Here it is

I still have a few months left on my warranty for my E-trac and I was hoping I would be able to send it in for a Checkup, just to make sure everything is working properly and what not....I never actually bought it new, so just before it runs out I thought I could get it checked. I called minelab a while back and asked the guy how to go about sending it in for a checkup and he said I can't really do that unless I know something is wrong with the machine and then I would have to let them know ahead of time why I'm sending it in....I know with other companies some people can do that and I've done it before with a Tesoro. I guess I'm just confused about how the whole process works, so if someone has sent theirs in for a checkup or knows who I can go through to do it, I would appreciate it. I mean if I have to give them a actual problem that I'm noticing, I'm sure I can come up with something, lol. I'd just like to do it while the weather is still crappy. If I sound selfish or something for wondering I apologize
No you don't sound selfish at all. But, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." comes to mind. I can understand Minelabs reasoning. I would think though that if you really wanted to send it in for a "tune up", warranty or no warranty, they would have to charge you for it. That's just the way it is with business. Life has "no guarantees" and there is no such thing as a "free lunch". It's tough out there and Minelab, I would think, is no different. IMHO.

Ed/ODF
Yea i get what you're saying...im just dropping all this money on it and stuff and i'd like to make sure its going to last me a while. I wouldnt mind paying a little money, but the guy didnt even give me any explanation on what to do about sending it in. He made it seem like there has to be a problem with it...and who knows, maybe there is and I don't know it. Especially since getting it used, I've always had a voice in my head saying I should get it checked just to be sure. Idk, I guess its not a big deal
If it ain't broke, don't send it in, it just might come back broken.
Not sure what a tune up is on a piece of electronic equipment.

I have owned Minelabs since 1997 and have yet to have a machine that needs a tune up. It is either working or it is not. They can do a check up on it but you can do that at home as well.

Use a test garden or even a air test will tell you if it is working properly. If you can detect a qtr at 12-13" in an air test then it is working fine.

Wave a few coins and check the ID and if they ID properly then it seem s as all is well.

Bump the side of the coil a little bit and see if there is excessive falsing. If not then the coil winding are still solid, Wiggle the cord at the connection on the coil and see if it falses--Yes then there is your issue, No,then it is working properly.

scroll through your menu and use all the buttons. Are they all working properly?

Check control box connection and make sure it is screwed tight and then wiggle the connection. It should not false.

Check the back light, Check the headphone connection and wiggle it a bit and see if the headphone cuts out at all. If so make sure it is not the cord on the headphones.

If all check out then tell yourself it is in great shape and get out and detect!! Happy
Thanks Ron
I do understand Minelabs side how would you like millions of used detectors being sent back for no reason and if you do have a reason that is what they look at if they happen to see more when fixing that problem they might fix it also.
And I see your side too but you have to remember that is why you are getting that used detector at a cheaper price. and as they always say buyer beware. The deal is only as good as the person you are buying it from.
Not sure why anyone would consider returning a working unit unless there was an upgrade or tuning process like what Tom D. offers for a few models which , I've never heard of on a Minelab. I would be more concerned at the liability of sending it through two trips of shipping. Would you return a TV or a microwave if they were working fine?
Sounds like an issue with cold weather and too much cogitation to me.
If you want to send it to me I can turn it on and makes sure it's operating for you---only $100 Happy + postage of course
Very interesting for sure. So, it is that today's technology has come a long way from the past machines? I can see both sides of the arguement here, some of us older folks want reassurance and if our devices are doing what they should.

I normally test different items at home, ie: the old bench test.....that is how I learn the different tones. It might be a good idea to do that now before spring arrives sort of a primer for the season
thanks for sharing
(02-21-2015 03:03 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Use a test garden or even a air test will tell you if it is working properly. If you can detect a qtr at 12-13" in an air test then it is working fine.

Is this with settings maxed out? Like in manual mode, no discrimination?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's