Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What new option or gadget would you like to see on a metal detector?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi all, what would you like to see on your metal detector? We all want more depth but I would like better accuracy too at better depths.
What say you?
I am okay now with accuracy and depth and that the performance can change with settings for me if I ever decide to "fall off the log of complacency" and actually change them and will try this in the Spring. Accuracy for me though is more important than real depth because my area had major populations moving in a lot around the mid 1800's and with the clay we have here as a substrate, if I find something from 1830 @ 10" it'll be pretty much a miracle because stuff doesn't just sink that deep. Most of my finds are 6 - 8" and above the layer of hard clay by 2 or 3". A few old Mercs I've found at 3". 2" of peat and 1" or less in the top of the clay. And the bigger the coin, the longer it takes to fall over time. So accuracy is more important. Wine bottle caps are a bane to detecting. Yet I dig so many of them.

What I would really desire, getting back to your original question, more than anything else, would be wireless. I've tried a couple of FM transmitters tuned to a pocket Sony radio with earbuds and the performance is "nominal" at best. But it does work. Problem is the batteries in the transmitters are feeble and only survive for a tad over an hour. Then it's back to the plugged in headphones.

Ed/ODF
A remote control one the size of a lawn mower with a camera that hovers while I sit on the park bench. I hope I wasn't asking for too much!
I would like to see water detector with a coil designed to move without resistance in the water. Some are better than others but I don't think anyone has really considered the resistance to swinging when in the water.
Ed, it sounds like your area has great potential because stuff only goes so deep. You can always eliminate those pesky bottle caps wth descrimination of course but most of us don't do that and prefer to dig ter trash in hopes of a keeper.

Detector Nut, you are not asking for too much....my son wants a mahine that actually shows him whats underground until then he won't go detecting!

Mike, I agree with you on the water coils - some even float and don't stay down, newer ones could be made with a resistance in mind - seems like it is very doable
I want fm radio so I can listen to my jams between beeps.
PittsburgWill, thats just crazy, but hey it's your choice and it's cool.

Ha!!! I second that, house!

Joe
BeerBeerBeer make that 3 you, joe and me
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's