Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Midnight Lake Hunt From Back in August -- Pieced Together from GoPro Cam and Iphone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all

this is a vid I did back in the summer of a Lake Michigan hunt at Midnight that I forgot all about = nothing special - 10 min long.

For those who don't know what lake MI (or any of the great lakes are like)

the following photos are of the EXACT spot/beach I am at in the video and this is how the lake can be from day to day/almost minute to minute as storms can blow in in a heartbeat and turn the beach/lake from a fantastic fun outing to the scariest and most dangerous place you've ever seen!

click here to watch video >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4AvakZlRf0

People are washed over that pier and out to sea almost every year never to be seen/heard from again because they go out on it during storms like you see in the pics below!

[Image: lkft%201_zpsyqnpqu6q.jpg]

[Image: lkft%203_zps8mmna7pe.jpg]

[Image: lkft%202_zpszcjllzzq.jpg]
Great information. I think you get way worst storms than we do down here in Florida on the gulf coast except of course when we get a hurricane. I've been here 15 years and have never seen even 10 ft waves. Thanks for sharing
FINALLY, someone else that does video!!! Geez, sometimes I think it's just Ron & I that do the video stuff, lol.

Nice to put a face (and voice) behind the avatar, Wayne. And I second what Mike said, good information.

How do you like the GoPro? Did you have it head mounted in the video, or were you holding it?

Hopefully, we'll see some awesome relic and water video hunts from you this season Wink

Joe
Very cool!
(02-24-2015 10:02 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]FINALLY, someone else that does video!!! Geez, sometimes I think it's just Ron & I that do the video stuff, lol.

Nice to put a face (and voice) behind the avatar, Wayne. And I second what Mike said, good information.

How do you like the GoPro? Did you have it head mounted in the video, or were you holding it?

Hopefully, we'll see some awesome relic and water video hunts from you this season Wink

Joe

Hey Joe

I had the GoPro head mounted

I like the hands free operation and the overall quality of the GoPro but there are a few things I don't like

I have the GP Hero 3 (white edition) but I upgraded it with a remote controller, extra mounts, etc. (so it's like a silver edition basically)

the NEW GP Hero 4 may be different/better

but on the GP H 3 - I don't like

1: the battery life on both the Cam and the Controller - they're fine if you intend to use them within a few hrs of charging but if you leave them lying around for like a day or 2 (even after fully charging) - the charge drains out and you have to be sure to recharge when/before you intend to use it.

2: there's no way to do "macro shots" (extreme close ups that show detail and are crisp & clear). (especially good for coin & small target close up shots) so it is needed and it needs to be accessible on the remote to click on/off as needed.

3: it's not bad once you have everything synced up and working but getting to that point is a beOtch! It takes a lot of reading, watching youtube vids on how to etc. just to learn to set it up and use it, and then you have to spend some time learning to use it before you can remember how to do everything needed to shoot video (it's not a turn on and go cam for the masses of technology impaired)!

4: when head mounted - you have to PRE-set the angle of the cam/mount just right or your intended film/footage can be out of view and you'll be recording like the sky or ground or whatever (everything but what you want to be recording) and unfortunately - you don't know this until you record an hrs worth of footage, get back home and link up to the computer only to find that it wasn't set right and all your hard work was in vain with nothing to show for it!

I wouldn't recommend it for those who struggle with complicated setup and use procedures when it comes to gadgets, etc. and you can see the rest of the problems I have issue with so if those are concerns for you/others as well - it's your call...

Other than that - yes - I'm going to make a TON of vids from here on out once this weather breaks and I can get out into the field, water, etc. and they'll be in the daylight on actual live hunts/digs too!

Stay tuned as I'll post the links as I make em Beer

(02-24-2015 09:32 PM)Mike Miller Wrote: [ -> ]Great information. I think you get way worst storms than we do down here in Florida on the gulf coast except of course when we get a hurricane. I've been here 15 years and have never seen even 10 ft waves. Thanks for sharing

Yes - that's true Mike

Lake Michigan and Lake Superior have the worst storms of all -- out of the 5 great lakes

but

I too lived in FL on the gulf coast (Treasure Island/Madeira Beach area mainly) but I did stay in Clearwater for a while too

and

I was a commercial fisherman back in those days down there (1984/85) and I'm here to tell ya

I spent a LOT of time out on that gulf for 8 to 10 days at a time each trip and there were times out there where the swells were 50 ft high/deep!!!!

I rode storms out for 3 days on end sometimes in conditions like that!

It was the coolest but craziest thing I ever seen/did/experienced in my life but that's the thing too = those storms/waves created by them were "rolling type waves" where one mintue you were on top of a wave over looking a swell 50 ft deep and then the next you were down at the bottom of that swell looking at a wall of water 50 ft high coming at you!! lol

But - the great lakes are "choppy" type waves/seas and are a helluva lot meaner in that sense/nature --- your vessel will be tossed around and beat to death in the storms out on the lakes! One place you DON"T wanna be when one blows on through = guaranteed!
Look forward to seeing some kickass vids, Wayne Yes You're gonna be doing more water hunting this year, yes? I might be doing some more myself, as well as trying to gain access to more private yards.

Joe
(02-25-2015 05:27 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Look forward to seeing some kickass vids, Wayne Yes You're gonna be doing more water hunting this year, yes? I might be doing some more myself, as well as trying to gain access to more private yards.

Joe

Yes sir

I'll be doing a LOT more water hunting this yr VS the past like 10 yrs

I'll still be doing some field hunting during the spring & fall but summer is going to be all out war on gold jewelry hunting in/around water this yr Wink

hope to see you do some water hunts this yr too Joe

Beer
I used to be a serious water hunter, Wayne, mainly knee to chest deep, but I got heavy into the coin game maybe 6 or 7 years ago and never looked back. I love the parks & the woods, and always will, but I do miss hanging out in the water and seeing yellow in my scoop.

Joe
I subbed you Wayne! Good luck with the gold prospecting this season!!
(02-26-2015 04:51 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I subbed you Wayne! Good luck with the gold prospecting this season!!

Thanks Ed Beer
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's