Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: CTX users has this happened to you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was changing my coil on my CTX the other week and when sliding the CPU back in place a tab broke off inside. I used marine epoxy to try and secure it but it did not hold. Kinda tick me off that they make a tab that thin and put it where they did. My CTX it about to run out of warranty and I was wondering if this is something that would give reason for them to repair? The tab just looks like a support tab and the epoxy that is still on it and the Carbon fiber tube should hold it in place I think. What is your opinion on this?

Notice the left side.
[Image: 20150225_121334_zpseccigeeh.jpg]
[Image: 20150225_121340_zpsahyfh0f1.jpg]
If you wan tit repaired then I would send it in. I would think that if anything breaks during the warranty period then they would need to fix it.

Not sure if that "tab" serves any real purpose and doubt it has any effect on how the housing opens/closes or locks, It may offer some upper rod support. Not sure.

But I would think you could call them and inquire and they would offer to look at it.

To inquire about repairs for your Minelab metal detector, please call our Minelab Americas Customer Care line at 1-877-767-6522 or email service@minelabamericas.com.
I emailed them pictures. They responded and now waiting on a RMA# from them.
I have not seen that particular problem but everyone I know that owns one here in Florida has had to return theirs three or four times because of leaks to the battery compartment. I would not recommend using them for water hunting.
(02-25-2015 07:14 PM)Mike Miller Wrote: [ -> ]I have not seen that particular problem but everyone I know that owns one here in Florida has had to return theirs three or four times because of leaks to the battery compartment. I would not recommend using them for water hunting.

Really Mike?  everyone you know that owns one (here in Florida) has returned theirs 3-4 times all for battery leakage? Interesting observation......

First I've heard of the tab breaking off, Minelab will take care of it, I'll break mine down to inspect it just to see how it looks.....time to change up coils anyway, not much out there right now within reach of the 11" coil!!!

Cliff
(02-26-2015 08:54 AM)cdv Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2015 07:14 PM)Mike Miller Wrote: [ -> ]I have not seen that particular problem but everyone I know that owns one here in Florida has had to return theirs three or four times because of leaks to the battery compartment. I would not recommend using them for water hunting.

Really Mike?  everyone you know that owns one (here in Florida) has returned theirs 3-4 times all for battery leakage? Interesting observation......

First I've heard of the tab breaking off, Minelab will take care of it, I'll break mine down to inspect it just to see how it looks.....time to change up coils anyway, not much out there right now within reach of the 11" coil!!!

Cliff

Not battery leakage Cliff. Water leaking into the battery compartment. These are water hunters of course.

Mike
(02-26-2015 10:43 AM)Mike Miller Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2015 08:54 AM)cdv Wrote: [ -> ]

Cliff

Not battery leakage Cliff. Water leaking into the battery compartment. These are water hunters of course.

Mike

Battery compartment leakage is what I meant, not what I typed. I still find it odd that all the ones you know have sent them back 3-4 times for leakage. You must have met a bad batch of owners.....   :-)

Cliff
I personally know 4 that have that problem. Several have stopped using them in the water now and one is going to buy another CTX but says it is never going in the water. Have you had yours in the water (housing under water) without any problems? How often? I have contemplated buying one but the leak problem has always stopped me. If you goggle it you will find several threads about it.
(02-26-2015 12:40 PM)Mike Miller Wrote: [ -> ]I personally know 4 that have that problem. Several have stopped using them in the water now and one is going to buy another CTX but says it is never going in the water. Have you had yours in the water (housing under water) without any problems? How often? I have contemplated buying one but the leak problem has always stopped me. If you goggle it you will find several threads about it.

Mike, the 4 that you know that have that problem.....have they sent it back 3-4 times for leakage like your original post suggested? That was the point I was trying to make when I made my response. I find it hard to believe that those 4 have had their machines back 3-4 times (each) for the same problem....I'm pretty sure I know one of the 4 you are referencing, he bought it used and had problems the first time in the water with it, I've talked to him about it.

In answer to your question, I do own one, I do submerge it, I have had mine back for repairs and most of it is because I use mine so much and I'm wearing it out. It did leak once, my fault and I caught it early so the corrosion wasn't bad enough to send it in but it got repaired on the next time I sent it in. I easily have over 1000 hours underwater with it in the past (almost) 2 years.

Beautiful thing about the internet is it gives an easy way for people to complain about a product, and people to give those complaints more merit by writing about it without any first hand knowledge about the product/problem. Not to say there aren't units that leaked but I truly believe from my experience with the machine (unless I got extremely lucky with mine) that most of the leakage problems were due to not taking the time to remove the seal and clean it along with both mating surfaces.

Google just about product and I seriously doubt you will NOT find complaints about it....IF you should decide to purchase one, let me know and I'll let you know my routine to keep the battery compartment dry....it takes 5 minutes at best.

Cliff
Good to know. Yes all the folks I know with the machine have had them back several times and I don't believe any of them bought them used. The latest one had it leak the first time he took it out so I don't think he had sand in it.. I'm not saying it isn't user caused, I have no idea how the guy's treat their machines or how careful they are when closing the compartment.

I noticed on the threads I read that there are guy's that have had good experiences just like you, but way to many that feel it should be engineered better. It is good to hear a positive spin on it though.

Have we meet? Maybe I'll see you out there one day.

Mike
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's