Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Wow, wow, wow!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm sure you've see this guy, Dr. Tones' videos before. Phenomenal quality stuff, a superb detectorist, great pulls...just an awesome dude. Well...

I never saw this particular video until this morning, and it's terrific. It's 10 minutes long, but it'll go super fast. This is his "best find" ever, which he captures on tape. It's a 1901s Barber Quarter - only 70,000 minted...extremely rare. He takes us on the journey from finding it, to selling it, which was the part that made me squirm.

He got a nice chunk of change for it, but I really don't think I would've sold it for that amount. I understand that everyone's station is different in life, and maybe for HIM it was akin to winning the lottery, however, I think he would've been much better served hanging on to it, and letting it grow in value, or passing it on to his kids.

What would you guys do?

http://youtu.be/Wp476YDAmis

Joe
Wow surely a nice find, but this guy has to be half crazy taking a gun with to a store that is only valued at 7000.00 whats he going to do kill someone over it and go to jail for life
Was a neat video from start to finish
One great find for sure. I think he got a pretty fair price based on condition. I don't know what the commission would be though. Probably 15 or 20%, but all in all, a good take for a find of a lifetime.

I'd sell it too though. With collectables there's a big difference between melt and auction. As long as I had pictures and a receipt, that along with the cash would be good enough for me.

And packing heat was a bit dramatic in my opinion.
I think I would hold on to it.
That's a great story. I would have sold it too. I'll keep all my coins that aren't worth alot. Something like that does me no good sitting in the safe. I could always use a few grand though.
I probably would have sold it as well as I can always use the money. But I thought he was going to get a lot more. I think he would have done better if he held out for more.
So far I have never sold anything I have found. I think I would have kept it.
Joe, great video, looks like the one I sent you today! At least I know your getting my textsYesBeerChuckle Hope to be hunting with you by end of month, warm spell in the 60s by st Patrick's day!
I'm not opposed to selling anything if there's no value, and I don't mean monetary. I am talking strictly historical, or sentimental.

I've found a bit of gold on the beach I've scrapped over the years, but almost all of them were generic pieces with no inscriptions, no age to them, etc. To me, it was just some quick cash. However...

My coins or relics pieces I don't think I could ever part with, within reason. If I found an item that was worth some crazy number, say, $75,000 or something along those lines, I'd probably get rid of it and put the money to good use. It would still be MIGHTY difficult for me to do, though, and I would try to hold onto it as long as humanly possible. I guess everyone has their price Happy

For me, the historic nature of a coin like the one video is worth much more than 5 or $6,000, and I wouldn't even consider selling it, unless I was very hard up and needed the money. To be sure...

Pieces like that seldom come along...if ever. Being able to have it in one's possession, show it off to friends & family, admire it, etc. is a gift. And it should be cherished, if at all possible, IMO.

To each their own though, and as I said, we are all different creatures, with differing circumstances and viewpoints. At the end of the day...

We can only tip our cap's to the finder, and congratulate him on the banner find of a lifetime Yes

Joe
I know one thing. If I dig something this year that I could get $10,000 for, I'm getting a GPZ 7000.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's