Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: DIV This Fall 2015 Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy Hunters...
I have been invited to go with some friends of mine to the DIV this fall. I have never been and also I understand the drawing process. The biggest concern I have is the soil out there is so iron mineralized, I don't want to go, spend a bunch of money, and not have fun.
The question I have is I have only the AT Gold and the New Fisher F19. Can anyone that has been there tell me which would be the better to take with me or use? 
I have no interest in anyone telling me what i really should use other than what I have.
I also understand a CTX can be rented, and that's not what I want to do either.
Thanks for your input in advance.
Chris
(03-04-2015 03:29 PM)1AgilDog Wrote: [ -> ]Howdy Hunters...
I have been invited to go with some friends of mine to the DIV this fall. I have never been and also I understand the drawing process. The biggest concern I have is the soil out there is so iron mineralized, I don't want to go, spend a bunch of money, and not have fun.
The question I have is I have only the AT Gold and the New Fisher F19. Can anyone that has been there tell me which would be the better to take with me or use? 
I have no interest in anyone telling me what i really should use other than what I have.
Chris

I've never been to a DIV before, however, I can tell you the dirt down that way can be VERY challenging. A lot of guys use PI machines, for this very reason. If not PI's, F75's, MXT's, T2's, etc, which are all pretty good when it comes to dealing with iron, AS WELL AS being able to punch pretty deep in the dirt. Which brings me too...

Why not bring both? It's REALLY good to have a back-up unit anyways, as you'll be away from home, and if one of your unit's should break, or not perform properly, you'll have a spare. If you can only bring one, for whatever reason, that's a call you would have to make, based on how well you know each unit.

I've used the Gold before, and it is EXCELLENT for picking through trash/iron to sniff out the goodies, so, don't think you would go wrong there.

Let's see what others have to say...

Joe
I would suggest bringing both too, double your fun.
I asked the same question a couple years ago on the forum that puts them on. Was pretty much told not to bother. I had an Explorer, an ATpro and an Excal. Said that the dirt down there would be to much for anything that I had. Pretty much just left it at that and never even tried to enter. I now have a CTX and I don't really think it would be much better.
(03-04-2015 03:39 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2015 03:29 PM)1AgilDog Wrote: [ -> ]Howdy Hunters...
Chris

I've never been to a DIV before, however, I can tell you the dirt down that way can be VERY challenging. A lot of guys use PI machines, for this very reason. If not PI's, F75's, MXT's, T2's, etc, which are all pretty good when it comes to dealing with iron, AS WELL AS being able to punch pretty deep in the dirt. Which brings me too...

Why not bring both? It's REALLY good to have a back-up unit anyways, as you'll be away from home, and if one of your unit's should break, or not perform properly, you'll have a spare. If you can only bring one, for whatever reason, that's a call you would have to make, based on how well you know each unit.

I've used the Gold before, and it is EXCELLENT for picking through trash/iron to sniff out the goodies, so, don't think you would go wrong there.

Let's see what others have to say...

Joe

Like suggested. Take them both.  Put a rifle strap on one and throw it over your shoulder.  Then transfer the strap to the other when trading.  I would not want to be an hour deep into the woods without a backup machine on my back.
I have been to DIV many times and for that reason own a Whites TDI and Blisstool, For that soil you want a detector that has a fast recovery and one you can manually ground balance. thats why surf PI machines won't work if they don't have a GB feaure. The first detector I used at DIV was a Safari and it was useless. Most of the VLFs can't handle the soil and the ones that do the list is small. The F75 and Mxt both do OK there.  To use a VLF in Culpeper VA you need  to hunt in all metal, swing really slow and dig all repeatable signals.  I usually use my TDI down there, but the last 2 DIV's I used the Blisstool  V3 and it worked great. The Blisstool is a VLF that has a fast recovery, can handle high mineralization, and goes deep. I have dug a Minie Ball at 20+ inches there with the stock 11" coil. Its a great machine to use there and its an affordable alternative to an expensive PI detector.
Reference URL's