Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Worst Detecting Day?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We want to hear it, what was your worst detecting day ever? In terms of getting skunked, losing a piece of equipment, having something stolen, etc. The WORST.

One of mine was last summer. AndreyNY and I met up at an OLD park we scoped out. Took me 45 minutes to get there, and as I pulled up, I had visions of sugar plums dancing in my head. This place looked like a million bucks; old trees, large grassy areas, the remnants of an old farm and so forth. I was practically doing somersaults with excitement when I got out of my car. Well...

After 4 hours in, neither of us had a single old coin or decent relic piece. EVERYTHING was modern. It wasn't loaded with signals, but there was more than enough action. We KNEW it was pounded before, but, nobody can get everything, though, they came DAMN close in this place! Lol. The only saving grace was a tiny section where I found a nice crotal bell and some other doo dads. Heavily filled, heavily hunted, we gave up and decided to try our luck at some other spots.

We hit another 3 or 4 places that day (one of which we got the boot from), and between both of us, I found the only silver of the day...a roosevelt of all things Tongue 5 locations, 2 states (NY & NJ), and about 200 miles on my car. I was disgusted and dead tired. Man, that day SUCKED!!!

I have 2 others, but I'll let ya'll chime in with your horror stories, first Yes

Joe
My friend and me decided to drive down to gates county north Carolina where i used to live and scope this old abandon house you could see thru the trees. by the state of this house i knew it hadn't been hunted and a tree had fallen across the middle of the house. We were super stoked and ready to get started. after the realization kicked in it was a modern house maybe early 50s we were then met with the horror that the tin roof was in millions of little pieces all over the lot. we decided to focus up front around the old porch and what would have been the drive way. Nothing but tin.. five hours of hunting and nothing but modern booze bottles and a two foot tall pile of tin......very disappointing...
I think I posted this somewhere on here earlier but here it is:
Mine happened in Lithuania. My wife and I had returned there for a visit after being gone for about 4 years. We had hunted there while I was working in the country for about 3 and 1/2 years. It is actually where I started Metal detecting. Never had any problems until this trip.

We were hunting along the edge of a river with about a 10 foot bank. It was close to a church that had been built in the 1400's. I had the headset on and was swing the coil and my wife was digging.

All of a sudden my wife yelled and started backing into the river. I looked up and 4 guy's were coming over the bank and before I could do anything they were on me and had me pinned. My wife had backed out into the river to about chest deep and was not even considering coming in.

We didn't speak their language but through hand gestures they communicated that they wanted the car keys. I said I didn't have them and they figured out my wife must have them. They waved at her to come in but there was no way she was going to do that. At that point they pulled out an automatic pistol and pointed it at my head.
That made my wife come in and give them the keys.

They then hog tied both of us took my billfold and run up the bank. We hear the car start and pull away. The guy that tied my wife up was a young kid and he was worried that he was hurting her so he tied her loosely. Within a few minutes she got her hands loose, untied her feet and then came over to me and got me loose. By the time we got up the bank they were long gone. They got the car, my billfold, my wife's purse, and a Whites XLT (my very first detector).

We were just thankful they didn't try to rape her or kill us both. That pretty much wrecked our day. But true to the hobby we were back out hunting the next day.

So I recommend you pay close attention to what is going on around you where ever you are hunting. It can happen anytime and any place.
(03-06-2015 11:42 PM)Mike Miller Wrote: [ -> ]I think I posted this somewhere on here earlier but here it is:
Mine happened in Lithuania. My wife and I had returned there for a visit after being gone for about 4 years. We had hunted there while I was working in the country for about 3 and 1/2 years. It is actually where I started Metal detecting. Never had any problems until this trip.

We were hunting along the edge of a river with about a 10 foot bank. It was close to a church that had been built in the 1400's. I had the headset on and was swing the coil and my wife was digging.

All of a sudden my wife yelled and started backing into the river. I looked up and 4 guy's were coming over the bank and before I could do anything they were on me and had me pinned. My wife had backed out into the river to about chest deep and was not even considering coming in.

We didn't speak their language but through hand gestures they communicated that they wanted the car keys. I said I didn't have them and they figured out my wife must have them. They waved at her to come in but there was no way she was going to do that. At that point they pulled out an automatic pistol and pointed it at my head.
That made my wife come in and give them the keys.

They then hog tied both of us took my billfold and run up the bank. We hear the car start and pull away. The guy that tied my wife up was a young kid and he was worried that he was hurting her so he tied her loosely. Within a few minutes she got her hands loose, untied her feet and then came over to me and got me loose. By the time we got up the bank they were long gone. They got the car, my billfold, my wife's purse, and a Whites XLT (my very first detector).

We were just thankful they didn't try to rape her or kill us both. That pretty much wrecked our day. But true to the hobby we were back out hunting the next day.

So I recommend you pay close attention to what is going on around you where ever you are hunting. It can happen anytime and any place.

You did post it, Mike, but, it SURELY is worthy of a repeat! Forget worst day, yours is like a horror movie nightmare. Just glad everything turned out okay Yes

Joe
The day I sold my MXT Pro and had to learn my V3i was my worst detecting day.
First off ...real sorry to hear about the guys taking your stuff and scaring the living stuff out of you and your wife....wow, thank God you guys were ok.

This is a tough one and I had to think back.....
Worst day for me - I climbed over a wooden farm fence but lost my balance and slide down a small hill. I was ok except that I twisted my right knee. After twenty minutes my knee swelled up and there was a lump the size of a soft ball in the back of my knee. I couldn't bend it much. The worst part was the drive back home took over three hours in my friends really small car.
Reference URL's