Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 2 Pounder shot or Mill Stone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[font=Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Howdy Hunters...Been a while since my last post only because the weather has truly sucked. [/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]I really really believe I found a rare woodruff 2pounder shell today. Where I was, was at a know Union Artillery site and occupied by Units from Iowa, Illinois, & Missouri Calvary. Found in Missouri at the site of a good sized skirmish. I could use some help on clarification. I can only assume, and have several scenarios on why i found this ball were it was(behind Union lines). Also found in this field so far was drop & fired bullets. The first scenario is...The confederate guns were at le[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]ast 3/4 to a mile away firing at this position I was searching in. Way to far for this ball. A Conf. gun(size wasn't mentioned in what I've read) was brought closer to the fight a couple of hours in. Maybe to 500 yards. It was soon abandoned due to close in Union fire. The 6 Confederate guns Noted in writings were 6 pounders and a rifled 12 pound howitzer, & the extra. The second scenario...is From what I've read, The Woodruff 2 pound howitzer was like the unwanted stepchild in the Civil War. It got passed down and around from Calvary unit to another. I have not found out yet as what guns the Union forces possessed during the skirmish. If it was still a Union gun at the time, I'm guessing it's a drop due to the condition. From the pictures you can see It is out of round so to speak. This Is where I need help. Would a ball with this deformity( so to speak) be fired from a smooth bore in this condition? I've also heard its a possible Mill Stone for grinding. The closest Mill was 1/2 mile away. If it was a mill stone wouldn't the edges be smoother? Thanks in advance for any help. I don't want to say I have a cannon ball until I can really clarify it a bit more.[/font]
Nice finds, congrats!
From the Internet

Since these were smoothbores, and since there is no record of special projectiles for them, it seems reasonable they were expected to fire 2.02 to 2.06-inch standard iron balls intended for 12-pounder grape shot or 32-pounder canister. According to contemporary ordnance manuals, this ball was expected to weigh 1.14 pounds

So what does it weigh?
Nice ammo!!! That's amazing!

Joe
Cool find!Im hoping its a cannonball. It looks from your pick that maybe the mold it was formed from was slightly off?
Nice Finds.
Thanks here is the in the field Picture.
Great find there Dog
Sweet finds.
Great balls of fire, terrific find! Congratulations.

I am no expert but back then do you really think it would have been perfectly round?
I would bet they loaded anything they could get their hands on! But I am not an expert. I hope you find out and post it for us
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's