Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Printing out large maps...where/how to do it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So there are a couple older maps of the County I live in that I would love to be able to get copies of. There are some stores that sell them, but they are expensive! They are downloadable on a website so I know I can print them, but these are BIG maps. Has anyone ever tried Fedex Kinkos for that kind of stuff? is it expensive? Is there anything else I can try?
Kinkos or anyplace thats make copies of blueprints.
(03-13-2015 03:19 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Kinkos or anyplace thats make copies of blueprints.

You can have them printed at photo shops too that use oversized printers.
What Ron said. I send plans to our local print shop all the time via email.
I research areas. I then take screenshots through a program I have and keep a file of individual sites. Then when I'm ready to do or detect that area, I print out a copy on letter size and keep it in my pouch for reference. I have bought only 2 full sized just to be a good sport. Pricey but worth it. Especially USGS!! You can download the whole map of an area from various dates from USGS, the government site, and then use the photo program to copy an area and then print it. You have to be fairly computer savvy to jump through all the hoops but it does work. Try this program for a good free photo editor and play with it. http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

Ed/ODF
More good information, thanks for sharing. I have to put these maps on my to do list!
Thanks for the infor. Ed. When I worked at the school I would have the tect- person make me any map I needed.I guess I could go back and see her again if I needed a larger map made.
If you know an Engineer or someone who works for an engineering outfit they have plotters that can print off this sort of size.

Just make sure no one is getting in trouble (the equipment and paper/toner can be expensive).

I know a ton of engineers and a few contractors who have plotters and let me run a print or two if i need.
I haven't seen a plotter machine since before I started to detect. I wonder if companies sell them because they stop using them? Where I worked they stopped using it and sent it to a storage area but that was in the late 80's
I managed to find a 22"x32" reproduction of the map i wanted on EBay. Only cost about 20 bucks
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's