Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Breathing New Life Into An Older Tesoro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Many of the older non-umax as well as some newer umax detectors can be mod'd for some extra depth and  performance.

First portion of the mod is to replace two capacitors, a mod that costs less than a $1. It offers a depth increase of up to 3" depending upon the target. It also slows down the motion needed for the detector to register a a target beneath the coil.
Your swing speed can be a lot slower which makes pinpointing even more precise. Technically you can increase the Cap values one more step and possibly pick up another couple inches.

Second portion that can also be done is switch out the on board fixed ground balance trimpot for a multi-turn external control pot. Then you still have the option of adding a toggle switch to keep the fixed GB or switch to manual GB.

I have already modified my older Cutlass II and Gunnars Silver Umax.
Have another Cutlass II than will get some more mods.

You can find this mod tutorial on my website, very bottom of the webpage:
http://www.treasurelinx.com/mods_2.html

See Gunnars videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFZXjV...YpyToWP_fQ

[attachment=5489]
[attachment=5490]
Good information.
Sven, great info thanks for sharing. 
So, how deep do they go now that youi made these improvements?
Sven very nice work.
(03-18-2015 08:47 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Sven, great info thanks for sharing. 
So, how deep do they go now that youi made these improvements?

Up to 3" depending upon the size of the target, half dime to gold ring.
Most Tesoros averaged around 6-8" depending upon the model.
My Cutlass air testing will now get my gold ring at around 12", up from 9".
half dime from 4 to 7".

Gunnars Silver umax depth has also been increased that much.
How much deeper in actual soil conditions, depends upon your soils mineralization.

Slowing down the motion needed to detect a target was a big plus, makes for nicer hunting time and you can still swing as fast as before ..........you can almost hover over a target without the detector detuning.
That's decent enouogh for finding stuff
My goal was just to make it a bit more sensitive to smaller thin gold rings within the first 6" of soil where most are found. With the depth increase and the slower motion I now get a more solid sound vs. an iffy sound. The Cutlass does pretty good when testing using Monte's Nail Board Test. It passes with flying colors using standard modern steel nails. When replacing them with wrought iron square nails its almost as good except on the pass #4 with a large nail spike than what the test called for.

Now I haven't added manual GB to it yet.
For an older machine its a really fun Turn on and go detector. Swings really easy with the 7" coil.
So it's sounds like a killer beach machine
You guys probably noticed the straight shaft I made for my Cutlass awhile back (above post).
Worked pretty well overall. Did end up using that straight shaft for another detector.

Had a great idea the other day, in my parts box was a straight shaft set-up from a Fisher 1280x.
Put it all together adjusted everything.......balances just perfect, feels like a feather. Hand grip is superb and very comfortable.
Swings easy, can hunt all day. I like it. Might spray paint the shaft another color or just clean it up.

[attachment=5523]
Way cool, it looks great
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's