Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: DAY 4 2015. #7 thru #9 (BIG SILVER)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Some nice finds you got there.
great finds, you are cleaning up that dirt for sure.
You are off to a fantastic start!

Way to go!
Glad your having a great start this year. I was in the Boy scouts back in the 60's made Eagle scout, I was the second person in our troop to do so.I also worked two years at a scout camp and I know for a fact they always lost a lot of stuffs. Ed check on the internet for the town your hunting in for old scout camp, sometime they list the camps and the time period. Here in NJ I have found many old camps that way.
Ed, great finds! Congratulations - love those big coins too!

What signal did the silver half give off? Did you expect to find a larger coin then a quarter?
(03-21-2015 01:13 PM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Glad your having a great start this year. I was in the Boy scouts back in the 60's made Eagle scout, I was the second person in our troop to do so.I also worked two years at a scout camp and I know for a fact they always lost a lot of stuffs. Ed check on the internet for the town your hunting in for old scout camp, sometime they list the camps and the time period. Here in NJ I have found many old camps that way.

Thanks for the tip Bob! I'll do just that. I know where a lodge was and burned down in the forties. And I think they had a jamboree area in the valley below. Real flat and wide open. I'm going to try and check that out in the next week or so. But the easier way to get there is to cross the river with waders. There is an old concrete ford there but it's sunk and under water. River is down quite a bit so I think I may be able to make it with a fair degree of safety. I fished Steelies in that area years ago up to my hips in moving water. I wouldn't try that now with the equipment I carry. Slippery stuff sometimes.

Ed/ODF
Great finds Ed,

You kill it on the BIG silvers man = I haven't seen as many walkers found in the last yr by someone since way way back in the 80s!

Keep doing what you're doing cuz it's working Yes

Beer
(03-21-2015 05:43 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, great finds! Congratulations - love those big coins too!

What signal did the silver half give off? Did you expect to find a larger coin then a quarter?

That's a good question Tony. I was right past that area the prior day. And that day I had dug a foot long piece of rusted Iron bar, like rebar, about 6 inches down. I left it against a tree as a reference but didn't do a surrounding sweep, only staying on my circular path. So when I passed that area again, I was going real slow. And the bar had dried out leaning against the tree and I didn't see it at first and got a signal that was pretty suspect, 1-28, 1-29, 27, 26 and loud. Then I saw the damn rod I put there. I was running 30 sense and turned it down to 26 after that. I leaned over and put the rod elsewhere (no comment) and re-swept. Up comes a high tone, loud and piercing, with readings staying a steady 27 depending on the position of the sweep and jumping to 28 and 1-29. But not deep. So actually, I thought it may be a quarter but the tone was heavier on the 27 VID. It could've been a can top from one of those old steel/aluminum cans as far as I assumed because the Boy Scouts used to drink a lot of stuff in those cans. Targeted pretty small for that. I thought it was a quarter when I first dug the plug. Took out a cut root infested 6" diameter plug and pin pointed it with the handheld in the center of the 6" deep plug. Was really surprised when I saw the rim because I then knew the 27 VID was correct. 3" down, max. Honestly, every silver half I've dug, and that's # 5, was never deeper than 3 to 5 inches. I think its size has a lot to do with how far it moves in the soil, being blocked by the roots and all. That 37 Washington was a whisper, 28 VID, completely on end at 6 inches down under a spider web of roots. I wish I had taken a picture of it still showing the rim at the bottom of the hole. And if a Washington was down that far with all those roots, then the place is loaded with dimes a lot deeper. I may go to 32 sense next time out over there and push my IM down to about 12. And move real, real slow. All of this was with the 11" Pro Coil. I may try 32 sense with the 8 X 6 SEF next time out. Depth is not a problem with that coil.

Ed/ODF
Ed, nice going again and thanks for sharing
because - are you ready for this?

- minelabs don't give off great signals on large coins like the half. A club friend told me this and it made me think awhile - the first half that I found with monelab was very deep and VDI said dime maybe quarter but it turned out to be a walker half.
The last one I found last summer was a Kennedy half - clad but the minelab said it was penny/dime - I almost didn't dig it.

When you go back just go slow - your bound to get more goodies
Sweet finds. Congrats on the silvers.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's