Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Your AH HA moment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Kajunman, I was that way too an not too long ago either.
I would go to the club meeting in NJ and just drool over the old coins and relics that folks were finding. And I owned a great detector too - Minelab Exp II - top of that line back then and others with the same machine were kicking it big time but in this hobby folks don't share - they even post that they want to have an edge over the other guy.
Bunch of crap for sure.
So over the winter I sat down and re-read the user manual several times - it helped some. I bench tested in my home - that helped some - then I was given a book by my good buddy who is now desceased. The book was by Andy Sabich - lights go off after reading his words of wisdom. I also found some web sites that had classroom instructions on just about every detector available.Man the info was terrific. More bench testing in my home with coins and jewerly that I had on hand. In the spring I started finding gold rings in parks - my buddies couldn't believe it - then another light went off and I retuned the minelab for silver or deep coins and starting making better finds. Now I need to get to better areas for the older stuff.
Hang in there - re-read your manual - look for infomation online and bench test at home.
The only thing a student can do is homework -then he becomes the teacher!
Wow - did I say that ! Sounds like a Kung Fu movie!
BigTony the sad part is I have a bunch of 65 quarters and dimes. SO close and yet so far. Yesterday I pulled 27 dimes and not one silver. I got one 1965 dime. At another demo lot one of my buddies pulled a Rosie. I found a 14k gold bracelet. I think I would have traded the bracelet for the Rosie....but I will take your advice.
Hello Kajunman, even after you do your homework and re-read the manual and online tips - you still may get skunked - don't get discouraged - when you least expect it - they will appear and you be be so excited you won't be able to even rub it at first.
Wow - trade a gold bracelet for a silver coin - too bad we weren't detecting together - I would have made that trade - nah - only joking with you .....hang in there and best of luck this year
Well BigTony one thing I've learned about this hobby is....if it isn't there you can't find it. LOL
Hello Kajunman, yeah, I guess you are right. If you try and try again then finally you have to more to another area. Places look so good but don't have the traffic or are too deep in top soil to make any great finds. I am tired of finding memorial cents from the late 1960's that the machine thinks are silver or at least quarters.

This week I have lined up a private home that is 120 years old. Get this - the owner is a long time friend and he wants to detect either the front or the back yard while I do the other one. He asked if I could let him use my machine - so I'll see if the weather holds out.
(03-30-2015 09:41 AM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]"He asked if I could let him use my machine"
This is when as his "friend" you set the discrimination for him. All iron. LOL...Geeze I wish we had some 120 year old houses down here. 70 is pushing it. Good luck Tony. I too hope the weather holds out for you and we see some fantastic finds.
Hello Kajunman, that is a good one - I didn't think of that one - hey he a newbie and will never know - too funny.....
This afternoon they are saying warm weather is coming .....so is the Easter Bunny
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's