Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Your AH HA moment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What was that signature find that made you fall in love with metal detecting ? I think every hunter has that AH HA moment.

This is my story. I got an ACE 350 for Christmas in 2013. I was so pumped. I'm the type that gets excited finding a penny. So I piddled around the rest of December and January. In February I started a job that I knew wouldn't allow me to detect until I was finished. (I remodel kitchens and bathrooms) I didn't finish until mid April of 2014.

My next door neighbor is a teacher at what was one of the older schools in our school district. She told me I needed to go metal detecting there because at the end of the school year they were going to demo the school. They had already began building the new one directly behind it.

So I took my detector to the school on a Sunday afternoon knowing I only had a couple of hours to hunt. I had made plans with the wife for later in the evening. You get the picture. I started swinging , I found clad and buttons and other cool to me items.

I was ready to call it a day and had turned off my pinpointer and put my detector over my shoulder to walk back to my truck. I saw one area around some bushes that I did not swing over with my detector. I decided 5 more minutes won't hurt. Started swinging and BOOM. My 350 started singing. I dug a little bit. Used my pinpointer , scraped away a little more dirt and there it was. A shiny gold ring.

It's a 10k gold ring from the 1970 Copa Mundial de Futbol. (World Cup of Soccer). I still pull it out and look at it. It was that moment that I knew this hobby was for me. Even though I have a couple of other detectors I still love my 350. Being it was my first and my wife gave it to me for Christmas I would never get  rid of it. The sentimental value is priceless. Not the greatest story ever told but that was my AH HA moment.

[attachment=5635]
That's a great find! I've only found one small gold claddagh ring myself and that with the Delta 4000 about a year into the hobby. I can say it was an AH HA moment as well because it sure beat the gobs of clad I was digging up. Good story too Kajun!!!
Super find !!! I think when ever you see Gold in the hole your heart skips a beat.
(03-27-2015 12:07 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]That's a great find! I've only found one small gold claddagh ring myself and that with the Delta 4000 about a year into the hobby. I can say it was an AH HA moment as well because it sure beat the gobs of clad I was digging up. Good story too Kajun!!!

Dirt Fisher I found my second gold ring 4 weeks ago. It's a 10k with a Garnett stone. I love this hobby and best of all I have full support of my wife. She loves to look at my clad to see if I have any Wheaties or silver. She loves when I bring something home that is old and relevant like the pic in my avatar.

I absolutely enjoy hearing and reading about you fellas who have been detecting a long time. The more I get into the hobby, I believe experience trumps the machine every time. GLHH.

(03-27-2015 12:45 PM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Super find !!! I think when ever you see Gold in the hole your heart skips a beat.

Bullet , no doubt. I don't read Spanish so I took it to my friend who is Spanish and had him read what was written on the ring. GLHH.
Wow, very nice, congrats!
Kajunman, very nice finds those gold rings of yours! The funny thing about this hobby - what seems important to you if always the best item - no matter what it is - you found it and it is special for that reason.

I think besides find a gold ring - my ah ha moment was finding old silver seated quarter
The best day of detecting I ever had was Oct 27th 1987. I had been detecting for about 2 years and was using a Whites Eagle SL 90. I was detecting an old park here in New Jersey and found 100 coins that day. Amount them was a Large Cent, 1875 Seated Quarter and 1877 s Seated half. Never had another day like that. Gerry
Great story and a nice ring. My Ah Ha moment came the first time me and my boy took his Bounty Hunter Jr to the local park. It was our first detector and first hunt outside our own yard. We got a 1901 V nickel. AH HA!!! I could see the date on it, but had no idea what it was other than a real old coin. I was pumped.
GerryF, that was some day! You must have been tired after digging 100 coins!
Good stories fellas. I'm jealous about those old coins. For whatever reason they elude me.Congrats to all of you and more AH HA moments.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's