Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: How long is the learning curve when you purchase a new detector?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys and gals, so it has been asked and talked about - spring is here and we all have been watching videos of different machines - some of us are thinking of making a purchase of one or more detectors. Could be for a different application/sites - could be for more depth or maybe performance -

Here is my question but please respond even if it's only a few words. I would like to hear form as many folks as possible.

When you get a new detector - how long do you feel is the learning curve before you are confident with using that machine?
Really depends on what you buy. A learning curve on the Deus will be longer than the Ace 350 etc.

But I always say at least 100 hours on a machine in a variety of sites in order to properly evaluate it.

just my two cents.
I'd have to say that it does vary widely with all of the machines. Something like my Delta I got a pretty good handle on in about 40 hours of use as a newbie whereas my SE Pro was more like the 100 that Ron states, especially when swapping coils and changing settings. I think that goes for a lot of the other high end machines as well. I mean a Teknetics T2, Fisher F19, XP Deus, etc... all have learning curves in the 60 to 100 hour range, depending on the user. Although the stated machines do have turn on and go programs, even those are minimum 40 hours with the presets. You still have to dig it to see what it is. For fellas that have been out detecting for years with different machines you could probably average that learn time down from just their user experience.

Just my two cents too!

Ed/ODF
What Ed said. I agree.
Thanks guys all good informtion here so far but I would like more folks to post what they feel is a good amount of time for knowing a new machine.
(04-03-2015 06:16 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]What Ed said.  I agree.

X2
BigTony It didn't take long to get a good handle on my 350. Once I learned how to discern  an aluminum can from a piece of clad it facilitated my hunts even more. There is something to be said for simplicity. I've had my ATP a while and I can tell it will be a while before I become as nearly proficient.

When it's all said and done though no matter the machine , you will dig treasure and you will dig junk. But it's still about the hunt for me.
I have used my ATP about 40 hours and still learning. I love it thtough.
Reference URL's