Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: After reading this article - I am thinking of searching attics instead of metal detec
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Boy after reading this article in the paper today - maybe I should start searching attics instead of metal detecting!

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/201...cart_river

Rare Honus Wagner baseball card and Yankees memorabilia up for auction in N.J.
Seth Augenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Seth Augenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 03, 2015 at 12:51 PM, updated April 03, 2015 at 1:14 PM
Bidding for a Honus Wagner baseball card, one of the most coveted pieces of sports memorabilia in the world, has rocketed past $1 million at an online auction run by a New Jersey auction house.
The Robert Edwards Auctions seasonal auction, which opened Thursday, features some unique pieces of memorabilia which are expected to go well past prices for the regular collector.
"We draw some extremely unique items," said Brian Dwyer, the consignment director of the house.
The "T206" card, originally found in an Oceanside, N.Y. attic in 2008, was sold for $791,000 by the original owner's family that same year. Approximately 50 to 75 of the cards still exist, since they were produced between 1909 and 1911, according to experts. The apparentrecord price for a Wagner card was $2.8 million sold privately in 2007.
The price for the "Oceanside Wagner" had already reached $1,020,000 as of 6 p.m. Thursday, Dwyer said.
Other items of interest are up for auction, as well.
• Babe Ruth rookie card, from 1916, issued by The Sporting News.
• A 1979 game-worn Thurman Munson full uniform.
• A 2009 New York Yankees World Series ring.
• An August National Golf Cluf Green Jacket from 1999.
• A game-worn Willie Mays 1971 home jersey from the San Francisco Giants.
The online-only auction lasts until April 25.
You know Tony, you never can tell. There must be so many people now, in our generation, with stuff in their attics that it's probably mind boggling if you know what to look for. Antiques Roadshow was always a big hit with me when it was on. I was always flabbergasted at some of the stuff people brought in.

This article is a perfect example. Great read and thanks for posting.

Ed/ODF
You make a good point Ed. The buddy whose house I detected the other day - he said he throw out 3 dumpsters of stuff in the last few months. I was surprised but it was a very big house and it was accomulated over 35 years.
So, yeah you never know.

That show is still on TV but I only tune in once in awhile. The stuff they show is amazing. I wonder how much they don't show.
Me too!
Reference URL's