Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: EMI & Hot-Rocks & Machine-Gun Iron Makes For Fun ;-)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1850s - 1910's homesite.

This site is one of the nastiest I've ever encountered in terms of a mixture of the worst EMI you can imagine, a severe iron infestation and all topped off with a heavy sprinkle of hot-rocks everywhere!

Todays tool was the CTX running auto sens +3 which didn't allow the machine to ever run past 13 due to the heavy EMI so depth was severely suppressed to say the least.

All in all it wasn't a bad day diggin as I found some good stuff but it was beyond a struggle = I had to use every ounce of knowledge/experience known to mankind to hunt this site and pluck out what I did ;-)

Large Penny (1846)
Wheat Cent (1916s)
WWI Cuff Button
Buttons
Cool Ornate Buckle
Doo/dads
Antique 18k Gold Pendant
Etc.

[Image: PLDetect%20000_zpshckt51o1.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20001_zpsbfylzqtc.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20002_zpszs18pht4.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20003_zpsqbstjkrf.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20004_zpslwdolntt.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20006_zpsqhzcffbc.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20005_zpszeaghaza.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20007_zpsbfudf8ox.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20008_zpsacohamdf.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20009_zpstf5rlq2q.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20010_zpstcbsvwni.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20011_zpsrfjj6vbz.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20012_zpstbrbg5ti.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20013_zpssnqolxfs.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20014_zpshvmet7dg.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20015_zpsscmkthmi.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20016_zpsgv9g1su3.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20018_zpsp1bezldz.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20019_zpsmwrngdsu.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20020_zpsvskhlija.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20021_zpswbbuzpjf.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20022_zpsdw7rnaig.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20023_zps5xt8dsfn.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20024_zpsq7yztjqa.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20026_zpstgdtyjh0.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20025_zpstiivdxro.jpg]

[Image: PLDetect%20027_zpskmb2jlhi.jpg]
Awesome! Those machine guns going off in your head make for an exhausting day. Props to you for sticking it out and rescuing some great goodies!
Wow!! Great day

Thanks for sharing!!
Michigan , educate me on this. Do "hot rocks" make your detector react ? I've never encountered that issue though I've seen many post about hot rocks. Also what is in a hot rock that makes it a hot rock ? Congrats on the finds.
(04-12-2015 07:09 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]Michigan , educate me on this. Do "hot rocks" make your detector react ? I've never encountered that issue though I've seen many post about hot rocks. Also what is in a hot rock that makes it a hot rock ? Congrats on the finds.

Kajunman

there are different types of "hotrocks" - some big/some small... some read in certain # ranges and give off certain tones while others read and sound off in other # ranges & tones.

starting at the top picture - if you count down to the 15th pic where you see 2 dark colored rocks with a shot of the ctx coil in the pic - those are the type that are littered everywhere on this site and they range from around large pebble size up to specimens 3xs the size of the large one in my photo buried 10/12" or more

these ones all read 1/10 on the Co/Fe scale on the CTX and sound off with a low/mid tone (same as gold/nickel) sounds... I'm not sure what mineral is present in these ones to make them sound the way they do but man they are EVERYWHERE on this site!

It's really not all that bad once you get used to them and know how to tell what you're dealing with and these ones being that they read low/mid tone don't bother me like some of the others I encounter from time to time on sites that have high iron content and sound off with a high coin type pitch that drives you nuts after a few hrs!
Thanks , Michigan. I still consider myself a newbie. Trying to learn everything I can. Geeze I could see how that might be a bit challenging. Hope I never have to deal with that. Good job navigating through that and scoring some nice finds.
Great finds reminded me of the same stuff I get at a close house site I have except the hot rocks. Just a suggestion with a site with a lot of trash and hot rocks, have you tried a different setting on the sensitivity. I myself also run auto +3 most of the time and it runs low to counter the grounds affects. I know they say not to run in auto when you hunt water. Just wondering what the affects would be if you switched in a heavy mineralized spot
To overcome all the adversity and pull all that stuff is a great day if you ask me. I don't know anything about CTX settings, but you must have set it right.
I agree with Will, Wayne. The operator is the key to any machine. And good eye in that field. I think you did an outstanding job considering the circumstances. To pull a gold piece from all that is FABULOUS!!! I have many areas here I can only hunt for an hour before the hot rocks just drive me away.

It's tough but you prove it can be done!!!YesYesYesBeer

Ed/ODF
Hello MichganRelicHunter, I have to back up what folks are saying - you did an awesome job. Fist off you didn't give up you improvised - way to go!
Those coins looks great so maybe that soil drains well - I would go back and put up with the hot rocks.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's