Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Brass Item
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this yesterday at 1850-60 site, saw one found on one of Ron's videos.
Ron any ideas?
Hello Caprock, I want to say a belt buckle because it looks like a hook on thee right side in the center.

Just a guess - I can't wait to see what others will say it is
Clasp for stockings??? Seems pretty small against the wood background. About the size of a nickel Caprock?
About as big around as a silver dollar, sorry should of put something in for scale.
Here's a pic of the back
I would say a brass saddle or bag tag. the two little nubs on the side are to fold over something and hold it in place.

Well i say two but one of them has been broken off.
Hi Eric, 

I never did figure out what it was and it is very intriguing because of the design and especially now that you have found one as well. I always look to you for help on a whatsit :-) 

We'll stay in touch with each other and I will be sure to let you know if I figure it out. Ron is really good about Internet research so let's hope he can figure it out or another member here may know. 

Cheers, Mark
Thanks everyone for the input, but it looks like the jury is still out on this one.

Mark:
Thanks for the quick reply, If anyone could id that thing it would be you guys.
Oh and congrats on the miner buckle!
I have to suggest that you take it to a resource in your area, don't mail it out find one and make an appointment to see them in person.
When I found the Breast Plate - everyone had an opinion but no one that I spoke with was an authority on the subject. The one man I contacted to come to our meeting said yes but got lost on the way and went home. Beats me why he didn't call for directions but that is another story.

I finally contacted West Point and the weapons folks on campus and made a date to meet. He knew right off what it was and showed me pictures in books to confirm it.

No brag on that story - I just wanted you to get a feel and get moving on finding someone who will assist you with their knowledge.
I would start with folks who know antique belt buckles for a start but that was my guess.
Reference URL's