Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Native American!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did some research on this and my brother is an arrowhead hunter as well as a novice detectorist who in turn gave me some good advice. Turns out to be either a nutting stone, pigment stone, or a fire starter drill stone. It's about the size of a football and the concave areas are about the size of a half dollar for perspective. In the area I was hunting I am "permitted for free" and one of the requirements is that I leave any really archaic finds be and notify the authorities who take care of that stuff. Beside the fact that I wasn't humping a 25# rock back to my truck for half a mile just for the glory. History is more important than ego. I contacted them this evening and am awaiting a response. This could be an artifact left in place by the Native Americans in this area, as far back as hundreds of years ago, maybe thousands, and also a marker for family settlement when the tree nuts came to harvest, because they did not take the big ones with them, but came back, season after season. I covered it in leaves, marked the location on my tracking. We'll see what develops.

This metal detecting stuff out in the woods is opening a whole new realm of search.

Have fun out there and Happy Hunting

Ed/ODF
Cool.
ODF\Ed. that is one cool looking stone and an artifact too! Great find, congratulations.

So you carried it out for exercise, right? You should have picked up another one to make it fifty exrtra pounds like some type of boot camp training. Ha Ha ha
Cool find!! Yes
(04-23-2015 11:54 AM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]ODF\Ed. that is one cool looking stone and an artifact too! Great find, congratulations.

So you carried it out for exercise, right? You should have picked up another one to make it fifty exrtra pounds like some type of boot camp training. Ha Ha ha

Just got off the phone with the people from the Metroparks and they said "Bring it on in!!!!" So sometime this week I'm humping up there to retrieve it and take it to the Nature Center to meet one of the staff who specializes in Native American artifacts.

Ain't life great!!!

Ed/ODF
Hello ODF\Ed, wow that is interesting. Let us know how you make out with them.
Well Ed it looks like you just found that Large item that your going to carry out from my last post.
(04-25-2015 10:42 PM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Well Ed it looks like you just found that Large item that your going to carry out from my last post.

But that fire hose brass was a winner Bob!
Reference URL's