Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Tough Hunt...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, it was slim pickins today, boys! No, not the actor, the finds Tongue

Hit the spot where I got all the silver and charms from the last two weekends, but, I must've cherry picked all the shiny, as there were VERY few deep high tones to be found. So, dug what few there were, as well as a bunch of $hitty one way signals, scratchy signals, bouncy signals, etc., cause hey, ya never know...found a lot of good coins that way over the years. Not today, though. The particular signals I look for were so scarce, I was even digging low foil numbers, hoping for some yellow action.

Managed to eke out 6 wheats, a cool Sunday school pin from the 1920's, and a real nice relic piece. I haven't a clue as to what it is. At first I thought it was a heel plate for a child's shoe, as its size is perfect for that. But, wouldn't explain the heart cutout. Then I was thinking a horse shoe for a pony, but, the three holes wouldn't be on there.

There IS a horse shoe design on the piece, which you'll notice on the front. On the back, there is a number '33'. If you look real close you'll see it. Any ideas? 

Joe
Wow, Mark, is that so?!?! That's cool! The spot I got it at goes back to the 1800's, but, most activity was from the latter part of the century. So, if that's from circa 1850's, that timeframe really excites me, as it opens up new doors/possibilities. Thanks Yes

P.S. - Any idea what the '33' means?

Joe
Cool heel plate-- 

Mark nailed it but they were used in the later 1800's as well so really tough to nail down the date of a site based purely on the heel plate.   But you can say that you are in a 1850-1900 site.

They have been found in Civil War camps but I personally think they were civilian and soldiers just wore their old shoes to war.  A lot of stories about women of ill repute and using the heel plate as a calling card but I think it is more of a glorified story -- but who knows.

Regardless of history or use, they are still a neat find!!
Cool find Joe!
Looks like a good hunt to me. "33" is Rolling Rock beer.
(08-10-2013 11:02 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like a good hunt to me.  "33" is Rolling Rock beer.

What is it with you and beer lately, Will?! Lol Tongue
Nice going Joe !  Yes
Yeah, I've never seen one as 'ornate' as mine, Mark. It has the horseshoe design around the edge, and is stamped with little stars on it. Could it have been worn by a higher ranking officer? Or maybe one hell of a good looking streetwalker Tongue

Joe
Reference URL's