Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 1st V! TOAST
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well not much to report other than a horseshoe at about 8 inches which was about 100 feet from the bridle trail and I haven't put that in this post. Another whole bunch of shotgun headstamps, a percussion cap, a 22 caliber bullet, a lot of pull tabs and can tops but for some reason no bottle caps. Oh, and an old dog tag too.

But after digging a number of pull tabs and beaver tails I hit this 10-06, 9-06 signal that was mid tone to the specs next to this rather young tree. I had a mind that it was another shotgun headstamp but the 10-06, 9-06 was very solid. Not a bounce or variation at all. So I dug it anyway and to my surprise it was a V nickel. My first and Will is still one ahead! As you can see it's pretty toasted. This one was below pine straw and leaves in a very loamy mix at about 5 inches below the 2" of that. I was running 28 sense. As far as I can see from the photos it's a 1911. This is after I cleaned it in OTC ammonia for about 20 minutes and went after it with a brass brush pretty aggressively with some good old Ajax dish soap. It's as far as I dare go with cleaning.

You guys that get so many real good looking coins from that era are very lucky because all that Nickel and Copper stuff here is so eroded you almost can't tell what it is.

But it's a V! So I have to go deeper up there in those pines.

Have fun out there and Happy Hunting!

Ed/ODF
Alright Ed. You got the V. They do come out dirty. I have dug 4 of them total. All came up looking the same and all came from the same park. I'm going to start calling it V nickel park.
That's pretty funny Will about the V nickel park. I have a couple of baseball parks here that I call "Nickel Day at the Park" because all I find are Jeffersons by the gobs! Nice to hear you have 4 V's as this was really a surprise for me. It's too bad they are so toasted. They're such a beautiful coin.
Hello ODF\Ed, those pine areas do have a bit of acid in thier dew droppings that is why the coins come out so coroded like yours. I found a mercury once all pit marked form the pine acid. Good find anyway, I always smile when I find a V - congratulations!

Out here I was taken to "Penny Heaven" by an old friend of mine. There was nothing but penny's everywhere in that park - after digging about fifty I was done and never went back.
Great score on the Big V there Ed !!!!!
Thanks everyone! Check Wills post on cleaning.
Parks always seem to make coins come out looking like that for some reason Ed

every V I've ever found in a park and a lot of the Buffs too come out of the ground pitted and corroded (Indian heads too)...

Still cool to find though Yes

HH
Reference URL's