Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Silvers #21 & 22, 2-IH's, 2nd V, Wheats!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Man what a day! Got out of the truck today after work and said to myself, I am going to dig tone and go low and slow. Was at the spot where I found that 1904 Barber Half with a 1916 wheat, which I had hit twice before.

Dug some iron and brass objects at first. About 50 feet from where I hit that half I got a tone with a VID that should have been a zinc penny. I'd been over this area before. The tone was high but not shrill. I was at 30 sense manual, 11" procoil, IM off, Recovery Deep. Dug it and it was a wheat. A 1916 wheat. Re-swept the area got a 3-27 with a blip of a high shrill tone. Dug it and it was the 1907 Barber Dime. Re-swept the area and got the 1907 IH. Re-swept again and got five more wheats. One turned out to be the 1881 IH. No time to clean coins, just dig and recover. Then the area went silent.

Next spot I hit is 40 feet from that one. And so full of roots I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Got this blip of a high tone and a non repeatable 3-29/4-29 on the screen along with background mineralization that was a killer. Couldn't target the thing for love nor money. Dug 3 holes in a cloverleaf after resweeping the area for tone. Third one was the charm. 8 inches down below a healthy 2" root out pops the 1917 Merc. And I scratched it trying to dig it out from under in wet messy stick to everything clay. Okay, so I'm pretty happy by this point. Figure I'll sweep the area again just to make sure. Up comes a 11-06 signal at 4 inches. Strong mid tone. Well it's a shotgun headstamp for sure. Nope, it's a 1903 V nickel. Re-sweep for 3 more early wheats.

Went out Sunday for 3 hours as I was told not to make chile until I had time.

Got 3 late wheats and a bunch of stuff all mixed with todays stuff in the last shot. There were beer can tops and pull tabs and screw caps too but I only like to show the good stuff.

Have fun out there and Happy Hunting!!

Ed/ODF
Wow Ed! Great hunt. And another V. You're on a roll now.
(04-27-2015 09:17 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Wow Ed! Great hunt. And another V. You're on a roll now.

Thanks Will! I left the area because I was just too tired to dig anymore. I got a lot more tones in that general area but I'm going to go back there with the 12x10 and my Sampson digger and a saw. That hori, hori is a great piece of equipment but for most of this stuff today I needed to dig a 1 foot diameter plug and you just can't do that with all the roots and the Hori, Hori. And the saw in the truck. DUH! Plus the ground is mostly mucky clay there and I came home looking like I was pig wrestling!

Ed/ODF
Killer stuff! Congrats!
Pig wrestling. Ha ha sounds like a good time.
Way to go Ed. Those multiple finds are great.
Wow, Ed, you're like the Ohio version of Leo! 2015 is surely gonna be a banner year for you Wink

Joe
Hello ODF\Ed, or maybe we should start calling you OSDF....Ohio Silver Dirt Fisher!
You are doing great man, congratulations! My hot spots have dried up for now - I'll have to move around like you did and see if I can get lucky.
Keep going - the Chili can wait a bit!
Reference URL's