Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Controversial Minelab ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gerry and I have thought about this many times, have debated it, etc.

We all know the ML's have the sweet silver tone/warble. Yet, deep wheat pennies can sound VERY similar to deep silver. We've been to sites where there's a ton of wheats, but almost no silver. Which leads to the question of...

Do you guys think it's possible for someone using a ML to ONLY snipe the deep silver, leaving behind the wheats? Or, do you think it would be too difficult, based on the similar sound at depth?

I have my own opinion on this one, but I'm extremely curious as to what others have to say about it.

Joe
Hello Joe, yes - I believe it can be done with a ML and I believe it has been done in the past with other machines too. Some folks were very adapt on notch detectors (whites) and others were very good at tone detecting.
Sure Joe! Especially with a skippy VID in the silver categories. That 1907 Barber dime I dug Monday was surrounded by 2 IH's and 3 wheats. I dug one wheat first then started to pay attention to the tone. That dime was silver and I kinda knew it was a Barber by VID of 3-27/28. The thin ones read in that area and the tone, although a tight area, told me it was. My brain was saying you just dug a 1916 D wheat, this could be a Barber. Whereas the Mercs, even the deep ones, are 3-29/4-29 almost always!

Ed/ODF
Someone fire up some popcorn, cause I want to enjoy the differing opinions on this topic Big Grin

I'm not so sure I agree, guys. And bear in mind, I'm NOT talking shallow targets here, which are much easier to differentiate, I'm strictly talking deep signals 6+". Here's my reasoning...

If it WAS possible to cherry pick only the deep silvers, why do you guys dig wheaties? I'm sure most of us would opt to bypass the wheats for the silver instead, yes? The reason you dig wheaties (like I do) is because it is extremely difficult IMO - aside from the occasional 'dead giveaway' signals which lock on to the silver numbers - to only snipe silvers without digging wheats.

I like wheats, but I dont love'm enough to want to waste my time digging them, when I could be going for silver. And I'm sure you guys feel the same. So, even if you dig one wheat, it kinda throws the entire theory of cherry picking out the window. Remember...

Not only do deep wheats sound very similar to deep silver, but the deeper a target is, the more the numbers will be off.

Tony, I would never say never, as almost anything is possible, but cherry picking with a ML would be incredibly difficult, as I stated above, but with a regular beep & dig unit, I simply can't see someone being able to do it.

Joe
(04-29-2015 09:16 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Someone fire up some popcorn, cause I want to enjoy the differing opinions on this topic Big Grin

I'm not so sure I agree, guys. And bear in mind, I'm NOT talking shallow targets here, which are much easier to differentiate, I'm strictly talking deep signals 6+". Here's my reasoning...

If it WAS possible to cherry pick only the deep silvers, why do you guys dig wheaties? I'm sure most of us would opt to bypass the wheats for the silver instead, yes? The reason you dig wheaties (like I do) is because it is extremely difficult IMO - aside from the occasional 'dead giveaway' signals which lock on to the silver numbers - to only snipe silvers without digging wheats.

I like wheats, but I dont love'm enough to want to waste my time digging them, when I could be going for silver. And I'm sure you guys feel the same. So, even if you dig one wheat, it kinda throws the entire theory of cherry picking out the window. Remember...

Not only do deep wheats sound very similar to deep silver, but the deeper a target is, the more the numbers will be off.

Tony, I would never say never, as almost anything is possible, but cherry picking with a ML would be incredibly difficult, as I stated above, but with a regular beep & dig unit, I simply can't see someone being able to do it.

Joe

Joe,

I think you're right on the deep +6" signals. But we have to consider that those deep signals are often mixed with wheats. In the old days there was so much silver in the ground they probably intentionally left the wheats to get the silver. Or like your IH's for example. Those old machines COULDN'T find the deep old silver. Now we have to dig through a few PIA wheats to truly get the deep signal silver. An Etrac is supposed to have see through with iron. Does it have that with wheats in the mix? I think not. So we with ML's kinda sorta do a different type of Cherry Picking. If you get my drift.

Ed/ODF
(04-29-2015 09:54 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2015 09:16 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Someone fire up some popcorn, cause I want to enjoy the differing opinions on this topic Big Grin

Joe

Joe,

I think you're right on the deep +6" signals. But we have to consider that those deep signals are often mixed with wheats. In the old days there was so much silver in the ground they probably intentionally left the wheats to get the silver. Now we have to dig through a few PIA wheats to truly get the deep signal silver. Now an Etrac is supposed to have see through with iron. Does it have that with wheats in the mix? I think not. So we with ML's kinda sorta do a different type of Cherry Picking. If you get my drift.

Ed/ODF

Look, I'd LOVE to be able to eliminate the wheats altogether, and better utilize that digging time only digging the silver, but I think it is virtually impossible to do so regualarly, across the board. I'm fooled quite often on deep wheats that sound like silver.

This is an ongoing conversation Gerry and I have. It came about because there were many sites we hunted where there were a freakish amount of wheats, but little to no silver. Yes, pennies were more common, and were more abundant back then, but it is hard to fathom sometimes why there is SO little silver and so many wheat backs. Fortunately, most sites aren't like this, and there's generally about a 10 to 1 wheat to silver ratio around here. But on those few sites we hunted where the balance of wheats was heavily outweighing the silver, it always left us scratching our heads.

Joe
Today I got 5 wheats and 2 silver. At least 3 of the wheats had the smartfind box in the upper right hand corner of the screen. That's usually silver. I personally don't think it's possible to cherry pick just silver with a Minelab SE Pro. The sound of a wheat can sound a lot like silver. At least in the kind of mineralized ground we have here in N.J. I don't mind digging wheats though because it tells me that there should be silver nearby. I also found a 1914d by digging pain in the ass wheats! Gerry
(04-29-2015 10:21 PM)Gerry F Wrote: [ -> ]Today I got 5 wheats and 2 silver. At least 3 of the wheats had the smartfind box in the upper right hand corner of the screen. That's usually silver. I personally don't think it's possible to cherry pick just silver with a Minelab SE Pro. The sound of a wheat can sound a lot like silver. At least in the kind of mineralized ground we have here in N.J. I don't mind digging wheats though because it tells me that there should be silver nearby. I also found a 1914d by digging pain in the ass wheats! Gerry

Well I don't disagree Gerry. It's usually wheats before silvers. I think that you guys in the parks are getting the pennies the children mostly dropped back then when money was scarce and kids at least had some pennies in the pocket, as a theory, of course. Whereas I'm getting the pennies and the silvers that the hunters dropped. In groups, like they were camped out. Those last two spills of mine, the oldest coin was a 1919 wheat, with the earliest being a 1881 IH. So I think we're talking two different types of scenarios and hunting methods. To be honest, if someone had hunted the areas I hunt 10 years ago as thoroughly as I do, I'd be out of luck for sure.

And "Good Night Irene."! I gotta hit the sack!

Ed/ODF
Hello NJNYDigger, well you had to talk about it and I had to find a sledding hill that had nothing but wheats......I dug eight of them and Mr. Deep dug three...I'll have to post a picture later got some stuff to do - I just wanted to check in to see how or what is going on

Congratulations to Gerry F on the finds!
Reference URL's