Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Message in a film can!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got rained out, but before that happened I found this. It's a message to somebody (JMJ) about the passing of his wife. I just about can't read it. The letter is dated May 3rd, 02. It was in the plastic film can and sealed with some kind of concrete epoxy. So he must have done it offsite (not in the woods) and buried up there, maybe a place where he had spent some time with her. Anyway, inside of the epoxy cap was an embedded 1982 copper memorial. Maybe the date of their marriage. To his dismay the epoxy ate up the memorial pretty bad. The woman here is intrigued with it and is going to try and decipher the whole letter to see if we can find out who it was. And unfortunately, being a copper penny buried in a film can about 8 inches down, I cut right through it on one side with the Sampson.

You find strange things in the woods, but I'm still amazed at this one. Somebody really loved his wife. And he was still carrying the pain. Maybe he buried it to let her go. Psychologically, that's what I would think.

Well, have fun out there guys/girls and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF

Oh, and damn, I just noticed I dated the photo 2105. I should be so lucky!
ODF that is an interesting , unique find. Maybe he didn't bury it. Maybe he did. Finds always tell a story no matter what the find/s are.
Hello ODF\Ed this could be a real spooky story...lets say he burried her near where this item was found! That creeps me out... I hope I am wrong
Good luck with deciphering it...keep us posted
Very interesting find. Maybe after deciphering it you can re-capsulate it all and rebury it.
Alright, I nominate you for the most unusual find!
Dude. That's crazy. Maybe the penny was put there so it may be found as it was. Who knows? I think I'd be pretty freaked out if I found that.

What's on the back of the religious picture?
Ed- That is one cool find! Try viewing the letter with different color filters that are used in photography to see the writing better. The different wavelengths of color will sometimes make the ink on the letter darker. Gerry[/b]
(05-04-2015 09:20 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Very interesting find. Maybe after deciphering it you can re-capsulate it all and rebury it.

Actually that thought passed through my mind and I think that's what I'm going to do.

(05-04-2015 10:15 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Dude. That's crazy. Maybe the penny was put there so it may be found as it was. Who knows? I think I'd be pretty freaked out if I found that.

What's on the back of the religious picture?

Once I understood what it was I too was a little freaked. But you know about curiosity.
That's a Xerox of St. Theresa and I think a Xerox of his wife. Nothing on the back of either. The word Theresa is in the letter. Could have been his wife's name.

(05-04-2015 11:41 PM)Gerry F Wrote: [ -> ]Ed- That is one cool find! Try viewing the letter with different color filters that are used in photography to see the writing better. The different wavelengths of color will sometimes make the ink on the letter darker. Gerry[/b]

Thanks Gerry. I'll try that. It's very hard to read.
Reference URL's