Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I need help on the Minelab Safari?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got a new Minelab Safari,
I like to know if anyone has the best possible setting for the  Minelab Safari?
thank you for the help
Regards
Rudy
NjNyDigger will be along shortly---he's the man
Hi Dusty,
Thank you so much
Maybe Joe hasn't caught the post . I know he's been busy trying to do some updates here. Send him a PM , I'm sure he'd share some tips with you. If I had any experience with a Safari I'd be sure to dump it on you but I have none.
Dusty,
thanks buddy, I appreciate it..
Yes
Have a great day, if you ever en the west coast let me know so we can go MD
Rudy
Get a copy of Andy Sabich's book on Explorers - it should help - it helped me and my Exp II.
(05-12-2015 09:07 AM)coinfinder Wrote: [ -> ]Dusty,
thanks buddy, I appreciate it..
Yes
Have a great day, if you ever en the west coast let me know so we can go MD
Rudy

Sounds good , I'll look you up on my next trip out--last one was 1971 when my best buddy just got out of the Navy....... and I still don't remember it.
Try this thread I stumbled across and try to find Joe's videos that are referred to.
http://forum.treasureclassifieds.com/Thr...KO20H.dpbs
Try asking some specific questions if you don't find the answers you need
(05-08-2015 04:12 PM)coinfinder Wrote: [ -> ]I just got a new Minelab Safari,
I like to know if anyone has the best possible setting for the  Minelab Safari?
thank you for the help
Regards
Rudy

Apologize for not catching this sooner. As to your question...

There's not really a whole lot of fiddling you can do with the settings, as it's more a turn-on-and-go unit, but here's my normal set-up...

All Metal (no stock programs or modes)
A slight threshold buzz
Automatic sensitivity
Trash density - HIGH

These are the settings I'm most comfortable with, as I'm mainly a hunter of old coins, and really push my detector to its limit, trying to squeeze every last drop of depth from it. If you're newer to Minelabs however, I would NOT recommend this set-up, as it will be very confusing, and could cause you much mental fatigue. I would start in one of the preset modes (coin, coin & jewelry) until you learn the tones, which is the hardest part of first trying a Minelab.

If you're already familiar with Minelab's, then I strongly recommend the above set-up for the following reasons...

1. Running in all metal will gain you every last ounce of depth the unit is capable of. It will also prevent nulling, and you'll avoid missing targets that are located close to trash, provided you slow your swing down.
2. Having the trash density on high will help speed up the reset time on targets. This is very beneficial, as Minelab's in generally aren't the quickest machines. The theory is having the trash density on high will skew the target ID numbers, but it's so minor it's not even noticeable, IMO, and the benefit far outweighs any negative.

About the only thing I would change, if you're able to, is hunting in manual sensitivity, as you'll almost surely pick up some extra depth. Around here though, there are VERY few places where I can run in manual without hearing tons of ticks, blips & blops from junk in the ground & mineralization. Which normally means I have to drop the sensitivity setting way down...thereby taking away any real advantage that was gained by running in manual, in the first place. So, I stick to automatic 90% of the time, and it runs quieter than a mouse.

Those are pretty much the biggies. Everything else (volume, threshold, etc.) come down to personal taste, and should be experimented with to see what works best for you.

Hope that helps Happy

Joe
Joe,
Thank You, for the help..
Yes
Reference URL's