Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Rock hard grunts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went out detecting on Sunday. I was using the T2. The ground conditions were horrible. Bone dry and rock hard. This ground is high mineral and I guess being so dry just made it worse. Everything was giving iron grunts. I dug every hit that gave a glimpse of a tone. The visual ID was all over the place. It was so bad that 4" deep ring tabs were giving mostly grunt tones. I did get some cool stuff though. The bullets and shells are the norm for this place. The deepest thing I dug was the huge lightbulb and it was maybe 7" if that and terrible ID. I did get a churchkey and the old pencil pieces. I'm always learning more about ground conditions and how they affect target ID. Next time at this spot it's back the the pulse TDI. I gotta learn more with that one too.
I really like the lead bullets Will! Yes I dig tons of all the rest of that stuff all the time too. You just can't get past it sometimes. Ground here is okay yet; had some rain go through this am and it's not butter but still pretty easy to dig. Wish I could find one of those old lead pencils. That's a real relic. YesYesBeer

Ed/ODF
Fun stuff Will!
Good digs Will Yes

Looks like some work in diggin all that stuff in those conditions!

Beer
(05-15-2015 08:25 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I really like the lead bullets Will! Yes I dig tons of all the rest of that stuff all the time too. You just can't get past it sometimes. Ground here is okay yet; had some rain go through this am and it's not butter but still pretty easy to dig. Wish I could find one of those old lead pencils. That's a real relic. YesYesBeer

Ed/ODF

One time I was digging along side an old schoolhouse to put a drain in. I was finding a bunch of those pencils. I sat them up on a window ledge and was going to bring them home, but I ended up forgetting them. That would have been a good place to detect.

(05-16-2015 11:25 AM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Good digs Will Yes

Looks like some work in diggin all that stuff in those conditions!

Beer

I actually dug more than that. The pesky pulltabs and other crap. I didn't dig as much as usual though with the hard ground and terrible ID. Recovery time was longer than usual.
Nice group of bullets there Will !!!!
Love the bullets , Will. I would trade you some rain for dryer weather. It seems like we have rain everyday down here.
(05-18-2015 06:59 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]Love the bullets , Will. I would trade you some rain for dryer weather. It seems like we have rain everyday down here.

Thanks Kajun, but the rain already came. I was out in it all day Saturday. First was my boy's baseball game. Then we went downtown to the children's theatre festival. Yesterday I was up early ready to head out with the TDI and it was raining. I got rained out this time. Oh well. Maybe next weekend.
Nice digs, Will. We're in the EXACT same boat here. It's so bad, I haven't been out for a serious hunt in weeks. Ground is drier than a bone! Rock hard, too. Couple all that with abnormal heat & humidity for this time of year, and it doesn't even pay to go out. There's no heavy rain in sight, either, and we need it, as we're more than 3" behind. Certainly not on par with California's drought problems, but just not good detecting conditions No

Joe
Reference URL's