Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What is a coin worth?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/5941?size=_original#caption
http://www.shorpy.com/node/5911?size=_original#caption

Just wanted to post this because I often think about the old coins I find and what they might have meant to the individual who may have lost them. You have to know that a quarter or half dollar back in those days had some real monetary value. Well I saw this and thought, "Wow, they must be working for a quarter or a half dollar a day." So I guess I'll have to give those coins a little more respect. I knew things were tough back then, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Ed/ODF
Yeah Ed. I think about that all the time. A penny, nickel, or dime meant alot to alot of people back then. Seeing those pictures really puts it into perspective. A little change was alot to them kids.
ODF , my dad is 77. He grew up extremely poor in southern Louisiana. He carved out a pretty good life for himself considering he only has a 6th grade education. Funny thing about him is , if you give him something he considers valuable or sentimental he keeps it hidden in a box. He has told me stories of picking cotton 14 hrs a day making a dime a day. He said he was thrilled to get the dime.

We have life pretty good. I always think I could use more but my life isn't so bad. Both my parents are still alive. I have lot's and lot's of nieces and nephews. I have a wonderful wife and daughter. I have three detectors and a lot of different detecting gear. All that's mentioned......that's the good stuff.
(05-20-2015 07:08 PM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]ODF , my dad is 77. He grew up extremely poor in southern Louisiana. He carved out a pretty good life for himself considering he only has a 6th grade education. Funny thing about him is , if you give him something he considers valuable or sentimental he keeps it hidden in a box. He has told me stories of picking cotton 14 hrs a day making a dime a day. He said he was thrilled to get the dime.

We have life pretty good. I always think I could use more but my life isn't so bad. Both my parents are still alive. I have lot's and lot's of nieces and nephews. I have a wonderful wife and daughter. I have three detectors and a lot of different detecting gear. All that's mentioned......that's the good stuff.

You and Will are onto the perspective I wished to convey. I think that we have the same situation here sometimes that they did back then. But the photos now are prettier and the speak is more flowery/gadgetry. IMO it's smoke and mirrors. Have a great weekend both of you.

Ed/ODF

(05-20-2015 06:03 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah Ed. I think about that all the time. A penny, nickel, or dime meant alot to alot of people back then. Seeing those pictures really puts it into perspective. A little change was alot to them kids.

Ditto here.
Reference URL's