Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: A big surprise! A little silver, a little gold!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now I've been trying desperately to get up to, or over to this site, for the last four attemps. I worked it the first time and found that Rosie with the other old coins and the little key knife. Since then there were 2 aborted attempts. The second because by the time I climbed the 140 foot, 60 degree hill, my lunch said go back down and find John, and it was blazingly hot anyway. The third time was get into the search and be completely devoured by mosquitoes looking for anywhere there "wasn't" bug spray, and blazingly hot again.

Well to make matters worse today, I had went out during a lull in a storm yesterday, Sunday, figuring I had a couple of hours to swing around in the woods in a new area. 1/2 mile from the truck, I knew I should have built an ark because the heavens opened up and soaked me and my clothing and my detector to the circuits. REGARDLESS of the little ML cover I have for just such emergency and the quart sized zip lock bag I carry my TP in.

So dried it all out overnight, went back for # 4 attemp, got to the top with 3/4 battery power left and did my thing. Found a memorial, 64, a bottle cap, and this little baby which I actually wasn't going to dig, because it wrang up a 00-30, 00-31 and in my perspective it HAD to be a piece of a horseshoe or some other such iron oddity. But the tone was high. At 4 inches in dry as bone peat like you'd get cubed at Home Depot, even after over 2" of rain, out she pops! And I looked for the chain or clasp, nowhere to be found. Then, after another 20 minutes of searching about, with another bottlecap found, my battery goes dead as a doornail. So here I am, 40 minutes or so into the hunt, with spares in the truck, again, and dead in the water. I plugged in the fresh pack of emergency batteries back at the truck and bam, right up to speed. But I'll save them for the next trip up there.

Life is tough, and then you die!

Have fun out there and Happy Hunting!!

The 1940 Quarter I found this March and is in there for size reference.

ODF
WOW! That thing is KILLER, Congrats!
Excellent find!
That watch is very ornate, compared to most that turn up.
Wow Ed!!  So cool!!
Any idea on the age?  That's really a great find, worth all those attempts at getting there!
(06-01-2015 09:13 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]Wow Ed!!  So cool!!
Any idea on the age?  That's really a great find, worth all those attempts at getting there!

Hey SLC! I now know the mechanism serial # from the Waltham Co. was manufactured between 1892 and 1893. The bets are 1893 because 6,300,000 was the end of 1893 for that production. The case, however, is still eluding me because I am stuck at the serial number, and an early one for CWC Co., and I have found out that they had an era of silver and gold filled designs but the info is fairly vague. We have here, a town over, a renowned watchmaker shop and historian on old watches and clocks. I'm going to try and take it over to him and see what he has to say. I've had several pendulam clocks refurbished by him and he is a professional in his field. I'm guessing by the word COIN on the back cover that it is a gold filled Bezel, but 14K or 10K, that's the iffy part. It still needs a good cleaning and in the shape it is in I may get it repaired, which he can do on premises. Anyway, it's an old find. I never thought it would be a pocket watch. It was a great surprise!

ODF
SWEEET Watch!! Very Very Cool!!
Ed. That watch is AWESOME!!!! Super cool find. I hope you can get it working.
Outstanding find Ed!

Gotta love this hobby of ours when you find a piece like that!

Congrats Yes
Wow, very cool find. You go to some awesome sites.
Congratulations - your effort has paid off!
Wow that is georeous! Congrats.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's