Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: New Hobby - I am giving up detecting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks ODF\Ed, while walking my grandson today I strolled by a basket ball court and I eyeballed $1.01 in coins lying under a bench. It's not detecting but hey I couldn't pass up the small pay day for babysiting.......
Tony once you become a detectorist you never look at the ground the same way. It's in your blood. It won't ever go away. You'll be back big man and I'm looking forward to your finds.
Kajunman, the weather is making me think of the beach detecting but I am too busy to get there at a low tide. So I'll see if I can do about an hour or so on a local beach but it will be in dry sand, on Friday. My aim will be to dig every pull tab or alumin crap out there....
I though you quit detecting?
Stevo, well I am in the process of looking for another hobby, because my return on my time isn't really paying dividends.
I know it is a hobby but coming home with crusty coins isn't making it.

I might stay in and concentrate on lower tomes and forget deep and loud high tones, if you know what I mean.
Tony for me it's about the relaxation I get from the hobby. Even though I don't live in an area that will produce really old coins I'm pretty happy just finding something cool. When I detect my mind is all in and when I'm done I feel relaxed. To me that is priceless.

I've talked to a few people lately who want to try the hobby. They think it's gonna be an instant pay day. I try and guide them another way by appreciating the hobby for what it is. Every time you pull up a wheatie or some little relic you have something no one knew was there. To me that's an awesome feeling. Attached to that wheatie or relic is a story of how it got there.

My natural born temperament is go fast , go high and live on the edge. For whatever reason detecting brings out another side of me.
Tony sorry to hear things don't pay out. I know there are times I don't find much even at the beach sometimes 1 penny is all it is then I find a good spot and pay for the detector with one target. They are there just depends on where you go.
Like I never have any luck in tot lots then the next person I talk to finds the big diamond ring there. Just keep trying it will come
Your new hobby is recycling all those pull tabs and al. cans you find detecting but you now call it "recycling".
Tony, don't get rid of you machine.  you might come back to it like i did 15 - 20 yrs later
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's