Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Lackluster 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been a terrible bummer of a season here. Very little rain for the past few months up until recently, and now that we've gotten some, it's just too hot to detect. Mid to upper 80's with killer humidity. If I really need to scratch my itch, I go in the early morning hours to beat the mid day temps...but only if I'm really jonesing. I'm stuck at just shy of 30 silvers FTY, and unless fall is gangbusters, looks like it might be a shitty year. On the plus side, some rare cooler days coming this week, so I'll be getting out.

Been pulling extra time at work too, so not a whole lot going on in these parts, and find it tough to get on here recently.

Hope the coming months are more productive!

Joe
Yeah, I agree - it's too hot too soon for NJ but you have me beat in the silver category. I forgot my last coount but it might be around 17 FTY, ton of wheats and a few silver jewerly. I have been consentrating on gold tones and or signals but just getting can slaw.

One thing though and I bet this is true - you probably detect longer then I do. I only get out for about two hopurs at a time with family and or weather and or just lazy too

So, when you go detecting how long are yourt hunts?
And, do you always have a detecting buddy with you?
Heat and humidity killer here in Missouri too. And with work 10hr shifts 6 day a week doesn't leave much time either, not to mention the late start I got this year. I'm hoping for a better fall.
I can roll with the heat and humidity. It's the rain that causes me consternation. It rains almost every day. Sometimes we get a two day break. I love sweating so that doesn't bother me. Digging muddy plugs does.

(06-22-2015 04:00 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]And, do you always have a detecting buddy with you?

Tony I prefer to hunt with a buddy. I think it makes for a more entertaining hunt.
Lackluster June for sure! Been hotter than hell on some days and other days mid 70's. Lot of rain too. T storm just hammered us here and the warning on my phone chased me, my wet towel and bug juice out of the woods. That's been typical. I get about 2 hours in and either run out of packed water or a storm rolls in off the lake (or from our friends in the plains) and I'm double timing it back to the truck, mosquitoes in pursuit! I'm so bit up I look like I've got the measles! I think I'm going to have to start drinking this bug juice to see if that works. And I got a case of poison ivy to boot from pulling weeds at work!!! I am the Benadryl KING I tell ya!!!

ODF
(06-22-2015 04:00 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I agree - it's too hot too soon for NJ but you have me beat in the silver category. I forgot my last coount but it might be around 17 FTY, ton of wheats and a few silver jewerly. I have been consentrating on gold tones and or signals but just getting can slaw.

One thing though and I bet this is true - you probably detect longer then I do. I only get out for about two hopurs at a time with family and or weather and or just lazy too

So, when you go detecting how long are yourt hunts?
And, do you always have a detecting buddy with you?

Very strange, Tony, the heat kicked in SUPER early this year. Spring was quite short lived...unfortunately Sad I normally average 2 or 3 days out per week, but between the early heat, and the added B.S. at work, this season has been a train wreck. Short hunt is typically 3 to 5 hours, and a long hunt is 5 to 7 hours. I do enjoy getting out with one or two others, but no more, as I'm not a fan of large groups. In general, I'm a bit of a lone wolf Chuckle

(06-22-2015 04:41 PM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]Heat and humidity killer here in Missouri too. And with work 10hr shifts 6 day a week doesn't leave much time either, not to mention the late start I got this year. I'm hoping for a better fall.

Heat's no biggie, I can do up to 80 or 85 no problem, it's the humidity that's the downer. I lived in California for a bit years ago, and there's a HUGE difference. It's surely hot, and you feel it out there, but I never sweated. And I'm a SWEATER!!! Lol. Here, the thick, soupy air is almost claustrophobic. Not a fan. And I'm not a heat person to begin with. I prefer the cold, bundle up and all is good.

(06-22-2015 05:46 PM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]I can roll with the heat and humidity. It's the rain that causes me consternation. It rains almost every day. Sometimes we get a two day break. I love sweating so that doesn't bother me. Digging muddy plugs does.

(06-22-2015 04:00 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]And, do you always have a detecting buddy with you?

Tony I prefer to hunt with a buddy. I think it makes for a more entertaining hunt.

I don't mind hunting in a light drizzle or mist, but anything beyond that, and I ain't risking flooding my detector, lol. I actually love rain...only NOT on my hunting days!

(06-22-2015 06:46 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Lackluster June for sure! Been hotter than hell on some days and other days mid 70's. Lot of rain too. T storm just hammered us here and the warning on my phone chased me, my wet towel and bug juice out of the woods. That's been typical. I get about 2 hours in and either run out of packed water or a storm rolls in off the lake (or from our friends in the plains) and I'm double timing it back to the truck, mosquitoes in pursuit! I'm so bit up I look like I've got the measles! I think I'm going to have to start drinking this bug juice to see if that works. And I got a case of poison ivy to boot from pulling weeds at work!!! I am the Benadryl KING I tell ya!!!

ODF

At least you're getting out! After suffering through last winter, I thought it was gonna be easy pickins this year...think again! My last hunt was about 4 weeks ago with Gerry F. Got about 1.5 hours in, found a nice SLQ, and then the damn rain kicked in. Fakecasters only called for a "brief shower". Well, wouldn't you know, it poured for about 3 hours! And yours truly was all alone in the park standing under a tree like an idiot waiting for it to stop...or at least ease off. Nada. After about 2 hours of this insanity, I packed my crap up and left. Then remembered I forgot my shovel by the tree! Circle back around, all the way into the park again...AND IT STOPS RAINING! I left. Disgusted. Count your good fortunes Yes

Joe
Joe,

You'll get your chance this summer I'm sure. And with those ears of yours you'll definitely be picking back up on the silvers! We got temps in the 70's for the next 2 weeks and I'm certain it's heading your way. All in all it's really been cooler here, at least it feels that way. Maybe it's the wet towel around my neck??? LOL

ODF
(06-22-2015 10:15 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Joe,

You'll get your chance this summer I'm sure. And with those ears of yours you'll definitely be picking back up on the silvers! We got temps in the 70's for the next 2 weeks and I'm certain it's heading your way. All in all it's really been cooler here, at least it feels that way. Maybe it's the wet towel around my neck??? LOL

ODF

Got some good rain recently, plus some cooler, more breathable temps in the coming days. Now I just gotta find the time to sneak out! Gerry F. actually uses one of those cooling pads around his neck on the rare occasion that he hunts in hot weather, but, like me, the heat doesn't sit well with him. My normal modus operandi is, hit it hard from March until June, then kick it back in July & August, and double up again September through December. But plans don't always come together like they do on that T.V. show, "The A-Team", lol.

Joe
Reference URL's