Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Ha!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(07-01-2015 07:49 AM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]I can understand the disappointment if you or I were really looking forward to that happening.
One thing I learned in this hobby is that - no matter how cool your find is - someone else found something just a little better then yours. It happens to me all of the time.
I would bring a find to the club meeting with hopes to win find of the month and by the time the meeting started there were at least three other itmes in that category.
Oh well it's only a piece of paper anyway I would tell myself but it meant more to me because I found it.
I have only been a member here for a short time but I have seen folks vote on items that were put into the banner.
Now for me - I never want any of my finds posted in the banner - or displayed in finds of the month at the club I go to. It's just me -

That's a very good point, Tony. I do feel that people need to be recognized though, as a large part of this hobby is centered around the finds. Also, I know the sacrifice & hard work that goes into this pursuit, so I do my best to give the obviously exceptional finds their do, when they are made. However...

As you said, yes, when people become stir crazy over the subject of the banner (or anything else in life), it's not healthy.

Joe
Joe,

Sorry anyone questioned your honesty or integrity. But that will happen on every forum out there.

Running a forum is no easy deal and it is a task that I personally would never take on. Glad others do so we can all enjoy sharing our finds and BSing with other like minded people.

This hobby does have skeptics just like any other hobby. It also has @$$ wipes as well. People will always doubt and question what someone else finds or how they run their forum.

I get plenty of youtube messages that doubt what Mark and I find. I simply reply "You are entitled to your opinion but your opinion will not lessen the thrill I experienced when I dug/or saw that fantastic coin/relic pop out of the ground. So obviously you should not watch my videos."

As far as the banner goes. You put whatever you want up there. Some finds will be better than others simply based on the timing of the find. I know for fact you do not take bribes for banner finds as the two bribes I sent for the 2 1/2 ounce nugget and Star buckle obviously must have been "lost in the mail" Wink Again--timing is everything!!

Joe don't let the petty people bother you. Just a hobby and the thrill is in digging a goodie and sharing it with the people on your forum that give a crap. If that goodie is good enough to get a little bragging rights up top then so be it. If others don't like it then they can simply move on to some other BS forum that really has BS issues!!

Thanks for all you do Joe!!

It takes a lot to get me to write this much these days!! But wanted to support my buddy Joe!! So post up my war nickel on the banner you untalented (but honest) prick!! Big Grin
(07-01-2015 01:52 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Joe,

Sorry anyone questioned your honesty or integrity. But that will happen on every forum out there.

Running a forum is no easy deal and it is a task that I personally would never take on. Glad others do so we can all enjoy sharing our finds and BSing with other like minded people.

This hobby does have skeptics just like any other hobby. It also has @$$ wipes as well. People will always doubt and question what someone else finds or how they run their forum.

I get plenty of youtube messages that doubt what Mark and I find. I simply reply "You are entitled to your opinion but your opinion will not lessen the thrill I experienced when I dug/or saw that fantastic coin/relic pop out of the ground. So obviously you should not watch my videos."

As far as the banner goes. You put whatever you want up there. Some finds will be better than others simply based on the timing of the find. I know for fact you do not take bribes for banner finds as the two bribes I sent for the 2 1/2 ounce nugget and Star buckle obviously must have been "lost in the mail" Wink Again--timing is everything!!

Joe don't let the petty people bother you. Just a hobby and the thrill is in digging a goodie and sharing it with the people on your forum that give a crap. If that goodie is good enough to get a little bragging rights up top then so be it. If others don't like it then they can simply move on to some other BS forum that really has BS issues!!

Thanks for all you do Joe!!

It takes a lot to get me to write this much these days!! But wanted to support my buddy Joe!! So post up my war nickel on the banner you untalented (but honest) prick!! Big Grin

Thanks, Ron. How anyone could ever question the validity of your finds is astounding, considering that they're all on VIDEOTAPE. And that's just for openers. It just goes to show that there are clearly some who will never be satisfied, no matter the circumstances.

I debated whether or not to air this on the forum, and decided to post it because, first and foremost, it pissed me off. Secondly, again, some folks get very brave when sitting behind a computer screen, or when PM"ing. As I have nothing to hide, I figured I would throw it out there. If there was indeed any nefarious activity going on, others would have surely spoken up, or threw in their 2 cents. That they did not should speak volumes.

I'm actually hoping at this point, that this whole thing WAS to simply get a rise out of me, because I would find it truly troubling how & why someone would think I'm taking kickbacks, or trying to curry favor by including certain finds on the banner.

Joe
Joe ,
I often wonder how many people would detect past the novelty stage if forums and on line show and tell didn't exist. We often see statements about how the hobby is endangered by the newbies who don't comport themselves correctly and shed a bad light on the activity but I think a more serious threat to detecting are the online forums themselves. I see so many people trying to create a persona for themselves in the forums and simply use it as a form of ego masturbation.

If the "facebook detecting" disappeared so would half the competition.
(07-01-2015 07:34 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]Joe ,
I often wonder how many people would detect past the novelty stage if forums and on line show and tell didn't exist. We often see statements about how the hobby is endangered by the newbies who don't comport themselves correctly and shed a bad light on the activity but I think a more serious threat to detecting are the online forums themselves. I see so many people trying to create a persona for themselves in the forums and simply use it as a form of ego masturbation.

If the "facebook detecting" disappeared so would half the competition.

TV shows/forums are irrelevant, IMO, as the cream rises to the top. If some yokel jumps into the hobby because he's bedazzled by seeing the finds on some reality show or chat room, more power to him. We all had to start somewhere. Eventually though, only the motivated, the tough, the persistent will survive. The ones looking to make a quick buck or to strike it rich will fall by the wayside.

I do agree with your statement about their being a lot of huffing & puffing, and displays of bravado online, but I think much of it is harmless friendly competition, or posing.

As with everything, you can't paint the entire "show & tell" portion of this hobby with a broad brush, there's both good and bad that can come of it.

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's