Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Lewis & Tomes Flat Button.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went back to the site where I found the LC and half penny. I turned up this about 10 feet from where I dug up the half penny. I also had switched out to the Pro coil. I was running IM at 30 and sense at 24, DEEP, so I was getting a lot of iron signal regardless. This came up as a brass tone with a jumpy, 3-27, 4-27, 9-27 and a couple of 7-28's. I at first thought I had stumbled across an IH. Took me about 7 or 8 minutes to feel comfortable with targeting. Depth said about 8 inches but didn't hold. I think it was at an angle with the shank up. Anyway, I dug the plug and nothing. Checked it with the SE again and was still right over target so I dug down another 4 inches. I found it in the tailings with the PP. So I can only say it was between 6 and 10 inches deep. Luckily the ground was soft because of all the rain we had. (But the roots weren't. LOL)

I had only about 45 minutes there as I came in the long way and hunted through. I turned up nothing else other than some memorials and clad, iron and junk. I think what I'm going to have to do is just go there and swing it real slow. There are so many iron signals at that spot and I'm afraid if I turn Sense down to 14 or 16 to at least eliminate ground mineralization, I'm going to miss deeper targets.

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

ODF
Sweet button, Ed. That spot is turning out to be a giant winner. Is it a real trashy place, like machine gun fire junk on every swing, or is it more spread out? I don't know how the hell you're hunting the woods this time of year, it's not easy!

Joe
Nice button Ed, looks like you have a great spot to hunt this summer.
(07-04-2015 10:50 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Sweet button, Ed. That spot is turning out to be a giant winner. Is it a real trashy place, like machine gun fire junk on every swing, or is it more spread out? I don't know how the hell you're hunting the woods this time of year, it's not easy!

Joe

There's virtually no modern trash there Joe. But the iron is horrible. Especially badly rusted cut nails. I am beginning to believe it was a multi use campsite for construction of stuff that I can't mention because it'll blow open the idea. I talked to Leo about it and he agrees with my summation in that something occurred around that time which needed a use for a central location. There is nothing even close there on maps that go back to 1857. But I feel it's been hit long ago with the older machines as I'm really not getting any silver signal yet, but, the stuff is deep, so they may have passed over it. I may have as well for that matter. I'm digging a lot of iron on a hunch.

This area is flat leaf covered woods with some real huge trees and a few saplings that can get some sun. It's a breeze site. Getting there, however, is a task either way I go.

ODF
Great button Ed. I was digging in iron like that today. Hard to get anything other than grunts.
Reference URL's