Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Help Identify please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=6121]Ladle I found today while treasure hunting underwater, I was in the site where ships were built for the war of 1812, but shipping started here in the early 1700's. I found this in 25' of water and under 1' of clay. I am guessing it is bronze, it's not magnetic, it has a gold colour. It is 81/4 inches long. Thanks..... The Canadian dime is merely perspective. The "ladle" has my curiosity peaked. I have never seen one like this.
On my phone, I can't enlarge the photo, so I'll have to do it later on desktop. Is it a coin? Bronze, huh? Can you take a close~up of the piece?

Joe
Which piece are you asking about? The spoon or the coin?
My guess is pewter

most likely late 1700s/early 1800s

could be wrong but that's how it looks to me.

Cool find
Could also be lead, is it real heavy?
It has a gold sheen to it, it is fairly heavy for the size and seems fairly primitive, here is another picture
I'd agree on the pewter call from MRH. Pewter is very brittle whereas copper or silver would bend before cracking. Since it has no hallmarks that's another clue. Pewter was a popular substitute for silver in those days as it was the "Poor Man's Silver."
It could be brass or pewter and plated gold.

Did it ring up as a high tone - quarter sound? Then probably brass or lead and plated.

If it is pewter then I am not certain what sound it would make - maybe penny/dime.
Reference URL's