Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Took a swim
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wasn't water detecting. I was fishing down the river on a shallow bank that gives up some big fish. The little guy went to pee in the weeds and his rod went flying in the water. My natural instinct in this situation is to jump in after it. Fishing rods are like good friends(or like our detectors). Well I believe this was the first time I jumped in after a rod and didn't come out with it in my hand. I did get a wet cell phone though. I quickly pulled it out of my pocket as soon as I got out of the water and laid it on the dry ground. Stood there all wet and being laughed at. I had a little laugh myself. Little man started crying because he lost his new rod. It was his first time using it. I tried to calm him down telling him I will get him a new one. He said he really wanted that one. Just like me his rod is like a good friend. I picked up my phone and it still worked. But when I got home and tried to make a call no good. Only worked on speaker phone and I have to yell to be heard on the other end. I have the battery out and it is sitting in a box of minute rice right now. Maybe that will help. Well back to fishing. About an hour after the rod flew out of my reach I was standing there and looked in the water and there it was right where I jumped in. Miraculously the line broke and it washed back up right back from where it came. I just walked out in the water about up to my knees and picked it up. Everyone was like WOW. I couldn't believe it either. Not only did I get the rod back but he caught a fish on it too. I caught two. There were four of us and caught five total and that one that got away.
Haha, glad you got his rod back Will. What where you fishing for? Stripers? Catfish?
(08-18-2013 11:25 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Haha, glad you got his rod back Will. What where you fishing for? Stripers? Catfish?

We caught four cats and one sheepshead.
good Story!!  Glad you got the rod back!! and caught some fish too!! Yes

Not sure what type of phone, but the rice thing--well I hate to be the bearer of bad news so I won't say it!! Wink

If it is a IPhone then take it back to the apple store and $230 later you will have a brand new one.  I speak from experience.  That's another story!!

If it is a different phone then I am not sure but I do know that you are better off to deal with the manufacturer vs the phone service provider.  The service provider makes a commission on phones so they do no offer any discounts.  (my experience anyway)  AT&T wanted $500 to replace my phone.  Apple Store: $230.

Good luck
Great story, Will...with a happy ending too, we like those!

Sucks on the phone, but, if its still operational, at least you still have access to all of your data (photos, contacts, etc.) that you can transfer to a new phone, if the old one isn't working right. Learned a HUGE lesson about that...

ALWAYS back-up your data somewhere!!! Preferably in the cloud, as that's where most folks are doing it nowadays. That way, your stuff will always be safeguarded for retrieval in a jiffy Wink

Nice that you made it out with the little guy (my son is 4), they grow up fast, so, enjoy the time while you can. Congrats on the catches too Yes

Joe
I'm impressed you call it a "rod" and not the derogatory "pole"  Yes
Good news. My phone is back to 100% and barring any unforeseen setbacks will play this Sunday. Motorola is a good phone.
About 20 years ago I took my son out on his first fishing trip we were in a boat,so I was showing him how to cast his zipbo reel when I when to cast I threw the whole pole/reel in the lake. I can still see the look on his face. The good news was that the line had a floating plug on it . I was able to row over and pull the pole back into the boat. We still laugh about it today.
Reference URL's