Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: How often do you hunt?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm curious as to how often some of you guys hunt. As in both days per week, and hours per hunt.

I average about 3 full days in the spring and fall, for about 6 to 8 hours per outing. In the summer it's usually 1 day per week, for maybe 3 or 4 hours.

Is it just me, or do you guys go NUTS at work just thinking about detecting? I know, I'm a degenerate, but wondering if any of you do the same. All day long...

"Where will I hunt on my day off?", "How long will I go for?", Should I dig nickel signals?", "Wonder if I should try running in manual for a few hours?" It's like this all day long.

The only thing that keeps me energized is planning for the hunt, checking in on here and seeing others' finds, and the hunt itself.

Do I need to go to DA (detectors anonymous)?

Joe
Joe right now I work so much that if I can get an hr or two a week I'm doing good. Typically I prefer to hunt all day on a Saturday. It's hot down here with a lot of humidity. In the firstĀ 5 minutes my shirt is soaked but I don't care. And I like to start about 6 am.

I prefer to find a spot and hunt most of the day. However I can only do that when I'm solo. Most folk like to try and hit several lots or fields. And yes I think about detecting all day.
Yep I think about it all the time. Right now I've been trying to get out Saturday mornings for about 5 or 6 hours til the heat and or bugs get to me. Early in the morning it might be in the 60s then before you know it it's 80 something.
(07-13-2015 10:56 PM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]Joe right now I work so much that if I can get an hr or two a week I'm doing good. Typically I prefer to hunt all day on a Saturday. It's hot down here with a lot of humidity. In the firstĀ 5 minutes my shirt is soaked but I don't care. And I like to start about 6 am.

I prefer to find a spot and hunt most of the day. However I can only do that when I'm solo. Most folk like to try and hit several lots or fields. And yes I think about detecting all day.

Same here, Kajun & Will. I'm mainly going to be hunting from sunrise till 10 or so, until the cooler winds of September blow in Yes

(07-13-2015 11:34 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Yep I think about it all the time. Right now I've been trying to get out Saturday mornings for about 5 or 6 hours til the heat and or bugs get to me. Early in the morning it might be in the 60s then before you know it it's 80 something.

I'd rather it be 18 and snowing, doesn't bother me. I don't like it, but I can deal with it fine. The heat is my kryptonite, however. I will grin & bear it for a couple of hours, but I'm a miserable SOB due to it.

Joe
Im lucky if I can get out one day during the week. 2 is pushing it. I will try to make it an all day thing if I can. It sucks...its the one thing I like to do the most but get to do the least. I think about detecting moreso than anything else. Im hoping once stuff with work settles down and I can actually take time off, I will be able to go out more
(07-14-2015 12:03 AM)DigDugNY Wrote: [ -> ]Im lucky if I can get out one day during the week. 2 is pushing it. I will try to make it an all day thing if I can. It sucks...its the one thing I like to do the most but get to do the least. I think about detecting moreso than anything else. Im hoping once stuff with work settles down and I can actually take time off, I will be able to go out more

I feel the same, Dig. Or is it Dug? Chuckle

Won't go into now, but like everyone else, I've battled some bad crap in my life. Detecting saved me in a way. When I'm out there with my machine, it's kinda zen-like. No $hit. It's almost meditation for me. All my troubles, worries, stresses and the other baggage we haul around in our lives, it's gone temporarily while I'm swinging away. I get to simplify. No phone, email, technology...nada. Just focused on one single task. Kinda like golf I guess, but I never played before, lol. Maybe fishing is a better example.

This is really a special sport/hobby/science Yes

Joe
(07-14-2015 12:36 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-14-2015 12:03 AM)DigDugNY Wrote: [ -> ]Im lucky if I can get out one day during the week. 2 is pushing it. I will try to make it an all day thing if I can. It sucks...its the one thing I like to do the most but get to do the least. I think about detecting moreso than anything else. Im hoping once stuff with work settles down and I can actually take time off, I will be able to go out more

I feel the same, Dig. Or is it Dug? Chuckle

Won't go into now, but like everyone else, I've battled some bad crap in my life. Detecting saved me in a way. When I'm out there with my machine, it's kinda zen-like. No $hit. It's almost meditation for me. All my troubles, worries, stresses and the other baggage we haul around in our lives, it's gone temporarily while I'm swinging away. I get to simplify. No phone, email, technology...nada. Just focused on one single task. Kinda like golf I guess, but I never played before, lol. Maybe fishing is a better example.

This is really a special sport/hobby/science Yes

Joe

The choice is yours on what you want to call me :P

But I totally agree with you. There's nothing like getting out and just doin your thing without worrying about everything else. Luckily Friday I will be detecting a house built around the civil war era. I need to really test the Deus
I probably would detect everyday if it weren't for my family - I am defineatly addicted to the point that it is all I want to talk about or do.
I am retired but babysit grandkids about there or four days a week.
I don't really detect long periods anymore - lost a great hunting partner - so now I pretty much get out one or two maybe three hours at a time. That depends on how I feel, knees or back issues make me stop real quick.
I mostly go out during the weekd days that the kids are not around. I mostly hunt after lunch or evenings. I am not a 6am type never have been. I tried it a few times and although it was fun it seemed wierd to me.

This fall I might get together with a friend to travel around and then it would be weekends and for about five or six hours.
I am retired so I try to get out 2-3 times a week for 6 or 7 hours each time.My hunting partner and I only hunt during the week so weekends are for family.
I hunt as often as I can unless circumstances curtail the idea. Sometimes that's 7 days a week. Now though, more like 4 or 5. It depends on the day. If I'm caught up at work and call it at 1pm, I'll go out for 3 or 4 hours, even if the weather isn't cooperative. And I've been out there in heavy rain more than once, checking out new ground. Well new ground to me at least.

I've learned to take it as it comes very lately. I was too beat from work this week alone to even think about it. And actually relished the thought of just going home and taking a shower, walking the dog and having something home cooked to eat.

Sometimes I need a respite from detecting. Sometimes, at least for me, being in bed and asleep by 9:30 pm is what heaven is to me. Being outdoors all the time for work, fixing equipment so we can continue working and just running the place gets terribly overpowering at times. So I like a break from my detecting at times. It gives me some space to catch up on me and those around me.

I love detecting, and they probably will find me in the woods dead someday, but not tonight!

Beer

ODF
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's