Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Question...(how to tell if silver)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all...
Whats the quickest/cheapest way to tell if somethings silver?
(a coin thats date is scratched/worn off or a piece of metal relic that looks silver?

Thanks as always guys!
HH
MM
Silver has a very specific look to it, although kinda hard to describe. There are those cheap kits you can buy that test for silver, gold, etc., but, it sounds like you're looking for a quick, easy, home made solution right now. Try googling "test for silver" and see if anything pops up. Or, maybe one of our members will chime in with a good solution.

Hope it's silver!!! Yes

Joe
There are alot of different grades of silver so it's not as  simple a question as it seems. This is a good start but won't tell you if it's plated or not http://petergill.webs.com/apps/forums/to...ow/4146735 . For that you will most likely have to  buy a test kit , they're cheap on e-bay and else where. If you file a small notch in somethng and drop some test acid on it will bubble if it's only plated.
Silver purity is determined by color changes of the testing acid which I thnk is a mixture of niitric and muriatic but I don't know the concentrations or molarities.
Real Easy

1.  Mail it to Me.

2.  I will ID and mail it back.

Disclaimer:  If you receive the item back it is not silver.  If it gets "lost" by the mailman then it was probably silver!! Wink
(08-20-2013 03:00 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Real Easy

1.  Mail it to Me.

2.  I will ID and mail it back.

Disclaimer:  If you receive the item back it is not silver.  If it gets "lost" by the mailman then it was probably silver!! Wink

Speaking of which, I'm fairly certain there's at least a few mailmen walking around with Treasure Classifieds t-shirts on right now Tongue
Reference URL's