Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Looking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am at the end of Lake Ontario, where it turns to the St. Lawrence River, it seems there is new stuff being churned up every day, and the water is fresh, so relics are preserved very well.
(07-17-2015 11:42 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2015 07:28 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, you're certified, Wayne?! If so, I'd be hitting all those lakes by you. I can't see there being much other scuba competition in that area, which means you'll probably be finding old coins & gold by the pound! Wink

Joe

Yes

but

Yer funny Joe Chuckle

I live in Michigan = there's 4 of the 5 Great Lakes almost encircling the entire state here PLUS there's about 10,000 inland lakes throughout the state --- we have 4 full fledged Dive Shops here in Grand Rapids alone,

there are literally 1000s of divers within a 10 mile radius of me -- these guys (me included off and on) have been scouring the lake, river and stream bottoms for decades plucking artifacts, relics, bottles, coins, gold/jewelry, etc. etc.

lots of competition here No

That many? Really?? Very surprising, as yes, I do know you live in the land of the lakes, but I always thought the scuba stuff was MUCH more prevalent in places like Florida, the Caribbean, etc. Still, I would think that the odds are stacked a bit more in your favor of finding a nice ring or old coin by diving for it, instead of hunting the water line...which everyone and their uncle is probably doing Wink But then again...

I tend to be more of a glass half full kinda guy Beer

Joe
Quote:That many? Really?? Very surprising, as yes, I do know you live in the land of the lakes, but I always thought the scuba stuff was MUCH more prevalent in places like Florida, the Caribbean, etc. Still, I would think that the odds are stacked a bit more in your favor of finding a nice ring or old coin by diving for it, instead of hunting the water line...which everyone and their uncle is probably doing Wink But then again...

Joe

Yep - lots and lots of divers here in GR and the west michigan area -

but I hear what you're saying Joe and yeah - as a diver you do have an advantage over the waterline hunters to find a bit more but it's a LOT of work and a lot of cost and a lot of upkeep on equipment/etc just to try and find an extra ring or few coins etc -- so -- personally I tend to reserve diving for more of a recreational activity on occasion these days.

If I lived near an ocean front/someplace where shipwrecks were prevalent - I'd dive much more often with a detector as a hobby in search of treasure Yes
(07-20-2015 05:24 AM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:That many? Really?? Very surprising, as yes, I do know you live in the land of the lakes, but I always thought the scuba stuff was MUCH more prevalent in places like Florida, the Caribbean, etc. Still, I would think that the odds are stacked a bit more in your favor of finding a nice ring or old coin by diving for it, instead of hunting the water line...which everyone and their uncle is probably doing Wink But then again...

Joe

Yep - lots and lots of divers here in GR and the west michigan area -

but I hear what you're saying Joe and yeah - as a diver you do have an advantage over the waterline hunters to find a bit more but it's a LOT of work and a lot of cost and a lot of upkeep on equipment/etc just to try and find an extra ring or few coins etc -- so -- personally I tend to reserve diving for more of a recreational activity on occasion these days.

If I lived near an ocean front/someplace where shipwrecks were prevalent - I'd dive much more often with a detector as a hobby in search of treasure Yes

If I was certified, you'd have to have 5 guys to drag me out of the water while I'm kicking & screaming. Wouldn't want to get out. I hear you on the costs, but it's the action that gets my blood going.

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's